Scout Program Leader Organization

Hey everyone! I'm been a Scout leader now for 6 years in which time as the CM,I revived the Pack to a Quality Unit, rechartered the Troop and just started a Venture Crew, all sponsored by the church I attend. We have great support with about 50 kids. I am now serving as the committee chair for all three units and as an assist. advisor for the crew (as my son is in it.) My CR is supportive, but has no time to assist and lets me make all exec. desisions (I'm basically doing both jobs) I have great CM, SM and Crew Advisor, but how do I expand the leadership (I have about 20 trained leaders) The units have many brothers/ sisters in the 3 units. How do I let the units be separate but coordinate and complement each other? What leadership pattern works for the whole program? What is an appropriate leadership meeting schedule?

THANKS!

It sounds like you've got the basis for a great scouting program. Based on your short description, I'll offer a few suggestions.

First, perhaps you should actually be the COR, and not the CC. I believe it is a lot to ask to be the CC for three groups. While the CC for any one unit is not as busy as the unit leader, doing it for three has got to be a busy job.

Second, try to get some cross-pollenization on the committees. For example, get your Webelos leader to be on the troop committee. By attending the committee meetings and occasional function, they'll have a better understanding of the boy scout program. You can probably do a similar thing between the crew and the troop. Our CM sits on our troop committee and I (SM) am currently the CC for the pack (although I hope to eventually move to just a committee member role).

Look for opportunities to serve each other. The troop can help run the pinewood derby and the pack could let them conduct a fund raiser at it. The crew could put on a rocket derby or field day in the summer.

Keep up the great work. It sounds like we're running along similar paths (although we haven't gotten to the venture stage yet). Good luck.

Similar situation here - although probably on a larger scale. We recognized the need to coordinate and cross-pollinate several years ago.

Created a Scouting at XXX Church to kind of be the umbrella 'committee' - covers cub scouts, boy scouts, venture and girl scouts too. Purpose is to (i) help oversee coordination of facility use by all the groups, (ii) have a better focused message to our CO through bulletin postings, fundraising, etc., (iii) avoid calendar conflicts for larger scouting events so families with children in more than one program may fully participate in all, (iv) offer opportunities for leader sharing. One thing we hope to add in the near future is have a single monthly Scouting at XXX Church leader meeting that will make it possible for the different programs to share what they are doing and seek ideas/resources - then follow with separate breakout committee meetings of each program (i.e., pack, troops, etc.)

The committee's function is to support the unit's program. If the committee is supporting three units, then the support is less than what is needed for the support of three very good programs. The Quality Unit designation is to be commended but it does not mean that each of the three units have great programs. It could mean that each has basic life support.

Cross pollination is already part of the committee's function by having a member of the committee concerned with membership and an ASM that is designated to be in charge of helping Webelos to Scout transition.

Having fewer people doing multiple jobs appears to be a practical solution to running several programs. It also appears that way on paper when you recharter. Having fewer people makes the recharter process quick and painless. Having fewer people running several programs solves the problem of recruitment of adults and training those new recruits, and then getting those new recruits to meetings and encouraging them to take on responsibilities. The problems with the 'fewer is better approach' are numerous because it takes allot of support to sustain good programs over a long period of time.

One person can wear many hats, cut many corners and produce great results all alone. One person can run these programs. It is a fact and you may be one that can do it. But, every time one family is not asked to be part of the program, then the resources are reduced for that program and it will cause problems in the future when the Scouts move on to other things. One person can make a difference because of the wealth of their personal talent that they bring to a program. Ten people (*an arbitrary number) can produce less support than one great person. But, ten mediocre people can do something that one cannot; they can be in more than one place at a time. Ten can multiply their leadership roles to support a unit in having a great program over the long-haul.

Scouting is fun but when one person takes on all/many of the roles, it takes a toll on other areas of that one person's life. We should not do that to ourselves or expect it from another. When we involve others, Scouting takes on new challenges and opens the door to more fun than doing it alone.

I know because I have done it both ways.

FB

It's my experience that you can get about 40% of Cub Scout parents to sign on as leaders, to include DLs and assistants. For a Troop, it's about 60%. If you've got 50 total youth in all three programs and 20 trained leaders, considering you've got some multiple youth families, you've got pretty good penetration now although it could be a little better. Your CO is required to do two things: provide a meeting place and provide leaders if necessary -- anything beyond that is gravy. I presume they're doing the first. If you think you need more leaders, talk to the COR and they can press the congregation. Again, it's my experience that this may get you committee members, but only rarely a DL or ASM.

I'd have leaders stick with the programs their kids are in, or for multiple youth families, try to steer them where you need them most. I've always gotten a big part of my enjoyment as a Scouter by participating with my son, and holding a stake in the unit because he's in it.

I think BSA design builds in the coordination opportunities at various transition points, if you take advantage of them. CM and SM should be friends, and talking regularly about Webelos-to-Scout transition, den chiefs, etc. Ditto for the Troop and the Crew. Venturing advancement requires Crew members to circle back to Troops for skill instruction; take advantage of these built-in lashups. There are others, but you get the point.

I agree with EagleinKY that you should probably be the COR, and recruit CCs for your units. I think some committee positions can multi-hat (equipment, secretary, advancement) if you've got people with the time and skill to do it. But, I also think there are two that can't/shouldn't: CC and treasurer.

Delegate as much as appropriate, and to the extent you have people willing and able to take on the tasks. Many hands make the work light, and having more people know more about the programs builds in continuity as leaders and circumstances change.

I'd schedule committee meetings based on your District's roundtable schedule. RT first, committee meetings later. ASMs and DLs need monthly "how-ya-doin" meetings too. Same thing, after RT, so you can fill in those who didn't make it. I try to make them before committee meetings, too, in case ASMs/DLs have issues they want me to discuss with the committee.

KS

KS

Lex - A follow-up thought... Building on the idea of you being the COR and recruiting three CCs... You could take Semper's idea of a Scout program committee, which could be comprised of you, the three CCs and the three unit leaders. You guys get together about once a quarter to sync calendars and see if there are ways to help each other out. It could work effectively, without creating a bunch of red tape. You wouldn't want to see one committee oversee everything. Keep the unit committees in place to run their programs.

Our Scouting at XXX Church Committee is just as EagleinKY describes...includes the COR, CCs, SM, CM, VCA, GS leaders - about 8-10 people total. It works very well. I will go through my files and see if I can't find the initial proposal for this org setup and PM it to you.

The best part is finding where our individual concentric circle programs overlap - one is the annual Scout Expo that our CO lets us put on.

Great comments all - Semper, do you include Crew officers (maybe the president) in this committee? Our GS program is doing well, but not as strong as the boys- Any suggestions on how to bring them on board as to an overall Scouting Committee? I would probably offer and if they want to go their own way, I'll just keep the door open.

Our VC was just started last year, so far only the VCA has been coming, but I do think we need to extend to VC President as well, as you suggested. Our CO has several GS troops but the leader of the oldest GS troop serves as the GS coordinator for the CO (essentially a mini-cluster leader) and so kind of knows what is going on with the other troops. To get the GS on board (and everyone else) you have to clearly demonstrate how this coordination can help all the individual programs become better in terms of planning and execution. We think benefits are significant in terms of meshing of calendars, overall communication of the entire scouting message to the CO community, sharing of ideas and resources, joint activities that provide more seamless transition between the separate programs, etc. While each individual program operates within its own sphere and under its own committee, the interactions between the programs gains some focus that would not otherwise be there. This makes it possible for the scouts to better understand the breadth and depth of scouting (especially at an earlier age).