Recently my troop had there annual picnic and the leaders were all recognized except for one and he seems to be a little upset about that for the reason that he does alot of work for the troop. What should I do, I have already recognized him myself?

Recognition is the only payment we get (professionals excluded)! Seriously, if the troop is going to recognize "all leaders" except for one, that is awkward.

You don't state your position and I'm confused when you state "I have alreadey recognized him myself." Was it public recognition?

Sometimes, as SM, when I congratulate a volunteer or a Scout for an accomplishment - hurt feelings happen because someone else feels they should have been recognized (or usually a parent feels their son has been left out). That is why I usually give accolades and repremands (or thorns and roses) to the troop as a hole generically unless there is a specific, well defined accomplishment - Johnny earned 1st Class, Mr. Smith got trained, etc.

As SM, I've noticed that I when the troop asks for adult volunteers to do something and I participate the non-leaders and even the CMs and SAs many times get "atta-boys" but not me. :( I guess it is just expected of the SM. Hey, it comes with the territory and I've learned to grow a very thick skin wrt Scouting.

(Oops, I'm guessing you are an SPL? If so, you are in a position to thank the adult leaders and volunteers and believe me, it is better to recognize and extra person who may not have "earned it" than to leave someone out who did.)(This message has been edited by acco40)

acco is 100% correct. I like to say that recognition is a double-edged sword. It's something you absolutely should do. It's also something that will sometimes backfire when you overlook someone. When I do it (and I've done it several times), I simply go the person and express my apologies for the oversight. If it's possible to recognize them at another time, I will. But usually, the honest apology is the best, and most sincere, approach. And, it's likely the one they'll appreciate the most.

My approach would be exactly like EagleinKY. I am not perfect, and I tend to prove that every time I open my mouth. At gatherings such as Courts of Honor and such, where recognitions are often handled, I prefer to speak from the cuff rather than read a speech. Doing so leaves me at the mercy of a failing memory, and I tend to do things like list the 22 people who helped with a project, but forget the project leader. When I do, and someone points it out to me. I try to make a beeline straight for the person I neglected and speak to them directly, and I try to find a way to fix it, either right there, or at least, at the next gathering.

Honesty is the best policy. Could it be why Trustworthy is first?

Good luck. I'm sure that no one intended to slight a hard working person. Make it right as best you can, and don't let it get to you.

Mark

Have you mentioned this to your Scoutmaster, who is probably the one responsible for making sure leaders get acknowledgement at your annual picnic? With the many people needed during the year to help insure a successful program invariably someone may fall through the cracks. This is not to say that this person's contribution went unnoticed. It is simply an oversight. Believe me, everyone's help is greatly appreciated.

I am a Scoutmaster and if did this for the recognition, I wouldn't last long. As an adult leader, I do it because I enjoy it. I do it to give back to a program that gave me outdoor experience, leadership training, lessons in life and most importantly fun as a boy. My suggestion is to talk it over with your Scoutmaster.

Thank you for all your posts, but im afraid that I have misslead you all. This post wasn't for my help, someone asked me what I would do in this situatuion and I didn't know so I posted it up to see what you all would do. Thanks again.

Great, I like the proposal of what I would do in a situation that hasnt happened.

I would carefully take notes on who is doing what from the start of the year to the end of the year. Then, I would complete my notes with what actually happened. The notes would enable me to write out certificates with the accomplishments of each and every individual. I would also write out an apology letter for any person that I missed and note their deeds. At the next COR, I would ask them to come up to the front to receive the certificate that I forgot the first time. Hopefully, it would not happen again because I would slowly become perfect.

(*slowly is the key word)

FB