Cub Scouts collect 10,000 pairs of pajamas for Penn State Childrens Hospital

Ten years ago when Weston Rock was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive form of cancer at the age of 10 months, his Greencastle-Antrim community rallied as he was treated at Penn State Health Children's Hospital in Hershey.

"Weston died of cancer in February 2016, less than a month before his third birthday, but he is remembered with Greencastle Cub Pack 13's annual pajama drive. Just before Christmas, Cub Scout Pack 13 topped 10,000 pairs of pajamas collected for the children’s hospital since the fall of 2016, according to Cubmaster Patrick Jansen."

"Some 1,500 pairs of pajamas were donated last year, which was especially poignant since Weston’s father David died of cancer in April at the age of 43."

Weston’s mother Becky explained,  “The pajama drive meant a whole lot to my husband, David. So that made the collection even more meaningful for our family this year. I just want to extend my deepest gratitude to the Cub Scouts, their leaders and their families for keeping this event thriving for so many years. It would not happen without their hard work. "

"Weston probably spent more days of his life at Hershey Medical Center than in our home, so we always looked for ways to make him feel like a child and not a patient while he was there. One way that we did that was by keeping him in pajamas and avoiding hospital gowns as much as we could."

“I think that the success of the pajama drive is such a reflection of how loved Weston was and the impact that his short life had on so many people. It is especially meaningful that it is a group of children and their leaders who do such hard work every year to honor Weston's memory and to bring comfort to other children who are fighting for their lives.”

Godspeed to the Rock family and Scout Salute to Greencastle Cub Pack 13,

More details including photos at source :

https://www.echo-pilot.com/story/news/2024/01/25/penn-state-childrens-hospital-hershey-donation-honors-weston-rock-greencastle-cub-scouts-cancer/72326744007/

Related: Penn State THON is a student-run philanthropy committed to enhancing the lives of children and families impacted by childhood cancer.  Their online 46 hour dance marathon is Feb 16-18.

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 2