New Adult Application Process

On 1/29/2024 at 2:06 PM, dk516 said:

Except that our Council' track record of processing paper applications is 2-4mts IF they don't lose them altogether. So the only thing this going to bring now is that as a unit leader I will either have to turn away interested volunteers until Council maybe eventually get around to either process registrations or recharter or I am forced to violate policies and keep doing what we did for years but really improved has nothing.

FWIW my exec replied that council policy is as long as the paper app has hit their desk and YPT is confirmed we're good to go.  The lag in council processing the paperwork should not concern us if the paperwork is in as the act of submitting a valid and accepted application is what gets that person covered as a registered leader, insurance, etc.  I do worry about the "what if they lose it".   Two years ago, our entire recharter was lost and it took 9 months to sort it out.

The interim between paperwork and online status is killing us for using otherwise great tools like internet advancement.  I can't enter advancement.  I can't enter activity logs, training, swimming status, etc, etc.   It all hinges on paperwork.  Why not just let me keep entering data and information for a person?

6 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

it wasn't your recharter paperwork that was due on 16 Nov, it was your recharter PAYMENT that was due!! 😜 Never forget... it is all about the money.  The service (even four months later) to youth is just a collateral benefit of having your cash. <sarc off>

Ha.  True that.

• Confused 1
38 minutes ago, curious_scouter said:

FWIW my exec replied that council policy is as long as the paper app has hit their desk and YPT is confirmed we're good to go.  The lag in council processing the paperwork should not concern us if the paperwork is in as the act of submitting a valid and accepted application is what gets that person covered as a registered leader, insurance, etc.  I do worry about the "what if they lose it".   Two years ago, our entire recharter was lost and it took 9 months to sort it out.

The interim between paperwork and online status is killing us for using otherwise great tools like internet advancement.  I can't enter advancement.  I can't enter activity logs, training, swimming status, etc, etc.   It all hinges on paperwork.  Why not just let me keep entering data and information for a person?

Ha.  True that.

I would be extremely surprised if any council would be able to ignore the new requirement that a completed background check must come back before anyone has contact with scouts or serves in any capacity.   How will your council exec explain the sudden absence of said volunteer if and when that background check shows that they should not have been accepted due to abuse being uncovered?  

If I am not mistaken this is one of the YPT conditions of the bankruptcy settlement.  (and something that should have been in place all along, just like ending the 72 hour rule that should never have been in place)

• Upvote 1
22 hours ago, MikeS72 said:

I would be extremely surprised if any council would be able to ignore the new requirement that a completed background check must come back before anyone has contact with scouts or serves in any capacity.   How will your council exec explain the sudden absence of said volunteer if and when that background check shows that they should not have been accepted due to abuse being uncovered?  

If I am not mistaken this is one of the YPT conditions of the bankruptcy settlement.  (and something that should have been in place all along, just like ending the 72 hour rule that should never have been in place)

It's a good point.  I am guessing the POV of my exec today will change after Mar 4 rolls around.  Will they be square on paperwork by then?  Maybe!  This is a prudent change, but if they can't rise to the challenge of timely processing it's going to hurt the units and the program.