There is the Philmont Trail Race on Aug 3, 2024. Runners can register for the Marathon circuit or the Tooth Ridge Sprint (8 miles), Half Marathon, or 50-miler. Online registration opens Feb 2, 2024.

Reference link for 2023 races:

https://www.philmontscoutranch.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/2023-Philmont-Trail-Race-Information-Packet.pdf

From above packet, map of the 2022 Marathon

Philmont2022Marathon.thumb.png.b27aed1f0cf5e0d4d19b6f7812fe4109.png

Edited by RememberSchiff
add marathon map
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Back in my day the Philmont Ranger Marathon was from "the northern most camp to the southern most camp," being Dan Beard to the Kit Carson Museum at Rayado.  Carson Meadows camp did not exist.  A little over 42 miles. Carrying a 30 pound pack, more or less (water load varies during the run as consumed and refilled). Pretty much meaning carrying a "Ranger Pack," which is what a Ranger would carry taking a crew onto the trail for two days.  It's lighter than the pack a scout or adult would carry. (Insider info:  It's why Rangers always look so relaxed on the trail-don't get short-winded or sweat even in Class A's-they aren't carrying quite that much, well, and of course, they are 20 or so and acclimatized to the altitude.) To my knowledge, the record is under 12 hours.

• Upvote 1

2004 it was Dan Beard to Abreu

Hiked to Dan Beard after dropping a crew and met up with my partner. Had full packs as we both had just been with crews.

Ate spaghetti with the staff then headed off about 4am the next morning.

Hit rain coming over Shaefers. Finished the hike in my sleep clothes as they were the only dry things I had.

15 hours, 43 minutes. Wore 1960s era Class A for it. 

• Upvote 1

The Ranger Marathon is a huge inspirational goal to many Philmont Rangers, though its course and times recorded for its passage seem to be obscured in fog.  There are varied discussions of--course, route, times, and pack weights carried (more or less).

The start point seems to be accepted by all as the camp Dan Beard, but the end point seems to vary over time from Kit Carson Museum, to Abreu (New Abreu), to Carson Meadows.

Anyone who has first experiences running the Ranger Marathon, I encourage to post.

Thanks.