UK: Beer festival and Christmas trees to help fund new Scout hut

From the Norwich & Winsford Guardian (UK)

The 1st Davenham Scouts Group, founded in 1930, has never had its own facility before and was most recently based at St Wilfreds Parish Church Hall. However, in 2010 the group was unable to renew its lease and members have since been meeting outdoors at Peckmill Scout Wood. Members have had to use temporary facilities such as portable toilets and a shipping container for storage.

The group then bought the 2.4-acre site in June 2019. and was granted permission to build a hut.

ScoutHut.png.699b0a6dab4a0d2766ec612da1fea24f.png

Now, they have announced a beer festival and a Christmas tree sale to raise the necessary funds.

A selection of 12 beers and ciders will be on offer, as well as hot food and a raffle.

More at source:

https://www.northwichguardian.co.uk/news/23819716.beer-festival-christmas-trees-help-fund-new-scout-hut/

Maybe unit-owned "scout huts" will make a comeback here in the states? Years ago, we had two scout land properties in town which were sold as CO's were assumed to provide meeting space into the future.  Now we compete and pay for community center bookings without storage,

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm envious of this facility - and that's strictly for one unit? Wow.

I live in the suburbs of a mid-size city. Scouting is still pretty strong in the metro area (not what it used to be, but hanging in there). Unfortunately, our closest council camp is about a 90-minute drive for most families. That doesn't work so well for your average over-scheduled young family.

I'd love to see the Scouts operate a small camp within a 20-minute drive of the population center - it wouldn't have to be a big production. Just one nice building like the one pictured above, a few campsites, and some trails. It could be a haven for weekend activities and maybe get some use on weeknights too.

2 hours ago, BetterWithCheddar said:

I'm envious of this facility - and that's strictly for one unit? Wow.

I live in the suburbs of a mid-size city. Scouting is still pretty strong in the metro area (not what it used to be, but hanging in there). Unfortunately, our closest council camp is about a 90-minute drive for most families. That doesn't work so well for your average over-scheduled young family.

I'd love to see the Scouts operate a small camp within a 20-minute drive of the population center - it wouldn't have to be a big production. Just one nice building like the one pictured above, a few campsites, and some trails. It could be a haven for weekend activities and maybe get some use on weeknights too.

I think owning and managing a site would be difficult today for most units. There are a couple former scout "huts" in my area that are either nonfunctional or in other hands with some continued scout access. We had a lot of luck working with private land trusts or municipalities to gain camping sites and access. We were also to develop relationships to use several private camps for local off season camping. We camped several times midweek when our school districts had random days off for professional development, parent conferences, etc.    

• Upvote 1
21 hours ago, yknot said:

I think owning and managing a site would be difficult today for most units. 

Agreed it would be impractical for most units. I was actually thinking along the lines of the Council operating a "mini-camp" closer to one of its population centers. Barring some type of enrollment boom, it would almost certainly require a major donation or the closing of a "full-size" council camp, but consider the possibilities:

• Available for Unit Meetings (Monday - Thursday)
  • Available for Unit Outings and District Events (Weekends)
  • Summer Day Camps / Merit Badge Clinics for Scouts, BSA
  • Cub Scout Day Camps

Driving an hour or more (both ways) to a Scouting even is a significant barrier to retention. That eats up your whole day. Driving 20 minutes? That's more like an errand ~ Maybe Mom hits up Starbucks on the way there and Target on the way home?

I know this suggestion is a bit out there, but for some councils, a well-located "mini-camp" could better serve its members than a traditional, full-size, remote council camp.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, BetterWithCheddar said:

Agreed it would be impractical for most units. I was actually thinking along the lines of the Council operating a "mini-camp" closer to one of its population centers. Barring some type of enrollment boom, it would almost certainly require a major donation or the closing of a "full-size" council camp, but consider the possibilities:

• Available for Unit Meetings (Monday - Thursday)
  • Available for Unit Outings and District Events (Weekends)
  • Summer Day Camps / Merit Badge Clinics for Scouts, BSA
  • Cub Scout Day Camps

Driving an hour or more (both ways) to a Scouting even is a significant barrier to retention. That eats up your whole day. Driving 20 minutes? That's more like an errand ~ Maybe Mom hits up Starbucks on the way there and Target on the way home?

I know this suggestion is a bit out there, but for some councils, a well-located "mini-camp" could better serve its members than a traditional, full-size, remote council camp.

I don't think it's out there I think some councils already do a version of that type of thing. One of the ones here runs short session summer camps that seem to rotate around the council at different park facilities for a week at a time. I don't think councils are going to have the wherewithal to buy property, I think they are going to have to look for partnerships and facility usage agreements. I think the traditional chartering organization model is dying and councils are going to fulfill more of that role without investing in real estate.