Tracking phone signal and battery strength as you trek

After reading story below,  I will be more mindful of signal bar strength as I hike.  I dunno maybe there is a hiking app that also tracks phone signal strength waypoints?

As there was no phone reception, Eric, 58, was worried about the threat to his wife of hypothermia. He helped her into a survival bag to keep warm, then headed back (left his wife!!!) to where he last remembered getting a signal. “I thought this was a bit over the top but I got in,” said Margaret. “But it’s surprising how cold you can get.”

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/mans-scout-training-saves-wife-27505340

4 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

After reading story below,  I will be more mindful of signal bar strength as I hike.  I dunno maybe there is a hiking app that also tracks phone signal strength waypoints?

As there was no phone reception, Eric, 58, was worried about the threat to his wife of hypothermia. He helped her into a survival bag to keep warm, then headed back (left his wife!!!) to where he last remembered getting a signal. “I thought this was a bit over the top but I got in,” said Margaret. “But it’s surprising how cold you can get.”

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/mans-scout-training-saves-wife-27505340

There are some apps that track this. I just started looking into it myself so I can't recommend one yet but I am looking for one that gives an audible signal, not just something I have to keep looking at on my phone. Merlin is enough of a distraction. 

• Thanks 1

We rarely have cell service in the mountains. If you have service you're either on a peak or, possibly, at a trailhead. I'm glad they figured it out. Also glad the other hikers came by.

A GPS that can mark a point seems like a useful idea. Does all trails allow you to mark a point?

Also there are GPSes with emergency satellite communications. We rent them when we go rafting because the canyons are not only far from signals but far from people.

• Upvote 2
54 minutes ago, MattR said:

We rarely have cell service in the mountains. If you have service you're either on a peak or, possibly, at a trailhead. I'm glad they figured it out. Also glad the other hikers came by.

A GPS that can mark a point seems like a useful idea. Does all trails allow you to mark a point?

Also there are GPSes with emergency satellite communications. We rent them when we go rafting because the canyons are not only far from signals but far from people.

If you go into the wilderness... (I now define "wilderness" as no cell signal, LOL), consider purchasing one for your crew.

At around $400, they are getting more affordable.

Recommended reading for your edification:

https://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/emergency-406-beacons/

One example:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PPJGFKK

Register your device, if you get one!!

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Thanks 1

Wilderness connectivity, sea connectivity, and everywhere else ...I have been waiting and waiting for the 5G Tesla Pi phone, the collaborative project among Tesla, Starlink, and T-Mobile.  Thinking Pi in the sky, but more likely buy a JitterBug for the old scouters home.

But for now,  I will mind my signal strength.

In case you did not know...

A text message requires much less signal connectivity (strength and duration) than a call, or to load up some data.

Some 911 call centers accept text messages.  Your mileage WILL vary 😜 

The Federal Communications Commission REQUIRES all carriers to notify you with a "bounce back" message if your text to 911 does not go through.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/what-you-need-know-about-text-911

If it does not go through to 911, next try sending a text to your designated support person back home.  (Yes, you need to recruit someone to fill this role as part of your trek plan.  Usually a spouse or loved one who will contact authorities if you need assistance or are overdue.)

Finally, in your trek planning, one of the questions you can ask the Search and Rescue agency responsible for your location (yes, you should know who that is, too!)  if they accept texts.

Happy trekking!

• Thanks 2

Good point.

In my experience, "bounce-back" or failed to deliver messages are only displayed in opened Message app, i.e., it is not elevated to app bubble* notification or phone notification?

IMO, Message App Icon should have a red failure bubble for failed sends.

42 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Good point.

In my experience, "bounce-back" or failed to deliver messages are only displayed in opened Message app, i.e., it is not elevated to app bubble* notification or phone notification?

IMO, Message App Icon should have a red failure bubble for failed sends.

Sorry, I cannot answer that, as I have never had occasion to see a 911 bounce back message.  So, I do not know if it is the same as other message delivery fails...

Might vary by carrier and phone type as well (Android vs I-phone, etc.)

Edited by InquisitiveScouter