BW - The parenthetical language of section IX says paintball is included as firearm only with respect to the restriction of pointing it at someone. The same parenthetical language was not added in Section VIII. If they wanted to restrict target shooting with paintball guns they could have very easily done so by adding the parenthetical language to the Section VIII discussion. But they did not. So that leaves it a matter of interpretation until BSA chooses to clarify.

Shooting a target with a paintball gun (under proper supervision) is not prohibited by the BSA. The BSA only retricts pointing a paintball gun at someone (and presumably shooting someone with it) since that is all G2SS states.

Is paintball target shooting boring? Don't know since I've never done it.

• 11 months later...

i think u all of you that are saying that paintball is not a sport are wrong it is infact it is a pro played sport and is pro played all around the world in leages as followed nppl,and the nxl. this goes for that nj kid.

and for all of you saying that pointing a paintball gun at somone is wrong its not.

and for all of u saying that paintball is dangorous and that you need adult supervision your wrong because the sport of paintball is safer than sports such as football,soccer,baseball,and even fishing dont beleave me look it up. (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

Section IX address the pointing of firearms (paintball guns included) at individuals. There is nothing regarding target shooting with paintball guns. And section VIII doesn't even mention paintball guns.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Wags spelling may not be great, but his data and reasoning are flawless. Paintball at established ranges with proper gear is substantially safer than many other allowed BSA activities and many well-accepted youth sports. There is no safety or insurance reason for a BSA paintball prohibition. The laser tag prohibition is hysterical.

Prohibitions based on philosophy should probably be left to the CO's where possible. In any event they don't belong in a safety manual. Such fraud short-circuits the democratic mechanisms for establishing philosophical policy in the BSA - through our elected council representatives.

Old folks like us often get too wiggy about the new things young folks come up with to have fun, just because they're not familiar to us. I've never played paintball, but it sounds like fun. And I can certainly see where a making big green splat would be more entertaining than making a tiny hole.

Once again BW mis-spoke, the rule states " the pointing of any firearm ,including paintball or lasers, at any individual is unacceptable. However law enforcement agencies can use their standard training agenda in Law Enforcement Venturing programs." This means that law enforcement venturers can shoot at the cardboard human targets on the police ranges under guidance.

Pg 35 of the guidelines states " Boy Scouts are permitted to fire 22's, rifles, air rifles and shotguns under direction of a certified instructor." Since a paintball gun is nothing more than an air rifle, shooting at cardboard or metal targets under proper supervision would be allowed. The only prohibition is shooting at other individuals. People need to read all the regulations not just selected passages. OK BW

Gee Backpacker, I don't know if internet threads have atatues of limitations, but you do realize BobWhites posts are a year old today, right?

Bobwhite hasnt posted since he was asked to take a months rest.

Now, if you take issue with what he posted, I don't know why it took you a year to formulate a response, but its your right to disagree.

I know at our Councils last big event, Paintball target shooting was all the rage, so scouts can target shoot with paintball guns.