I'm fortunate that we get a lot of adults that like to come on campouts with us. We are often able to have at least 6- to 8-deep leadership. My concern is when parents that come on campouts bring their other kids to stay overnight with us. One dad has a six year old son that has been on several campouts already. He is a nice kid (in some ways he's more ready for Scouts than some of our 11 year olds), but I have two concerns. The first is that the kid doesn't stay with his dad the whole time. Often, he tries to follow the scouts and will sometimes wander off in the woods exploring by himself. My second concern is that if we start getting several parents doing that (we have quite a few younger siblings in the troop), then we could have a problem on our hands, especially if the younger sibling isn't as obedient as the six year old.

My feeling is that the only time siblings should stay overnight on campouts is when they are Webelos age and with their parent. We had a younger sibling (fourth grade Webelo) last spring who whined and complained the entire weekend because there were some parts of our campout that I wouldn't let him participate in because I didn't feel he was emotionally mature enough (Mom agreed with me). He kept coming up to me and whining all weekend and was constantly getting in the way of his older brother's patrol. Mom kept trying to get her younger son to stay out of the older Scout's way, but every time she turned her back, he would be off trying to get in on the activities. Normally, I would consider a Webelo wanting to participate with the Scouts a big plus. However, this kid was 9 1/2 with the maturity of a 5-6 year old.

One other item I need some advice on in this area has to do with siblings that are Scout age. We have a Scout that is 15 with a 12 year old brother. The 12 year old was in the troop, but Scouts wasn't what he wanted it to be, so he basically quit. However, there are a couple of events a year that his dad goes on and really likes. His dad pays for him to go on these events as a "guest" (his brother also goes). The dad expects this kid to be able to fully participate with the rest of the troop. However, the kid won't listen to any of the troop leaders (youth or adult) and the kid ends up eating with the adults (we cook for ourselves on campouts) but not lifting one finger to help (it isn't worth the fight).

What do other troops do about this?

Similar discussion earlier this year (started by yours truly):

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=55492#id_55492

We allow siblings on some campouts. These are generally campouts where it's less of a "scouting" theme and more of a general fun time. For example, last year we went to Mammoth Cave National Park. We invited families, two brought siblings. The rule was that a parent from the family had to be there and take responsibility for the non-scout.

As for any other guests, they have to be of scout-age and are being recruited to join. We also require them to come to at least one meeting so we can meet them, explain the ground rules and get a permission slip signed.

My 6 year old twins go camping and sailing with the Sea Scouts. They've got a lot of tent time in already. The only concern that has been voiced was a mutual groan from the teenagers when they wanted to go to the beach and I made them take my boys along with. I said, "They're cute, they're twins, girls like cute twins, they may even talk to you guys too."

On the other side of the coin, if another adult had a problem with it, hmmmm, good question. I own the Sailboats.

Non scouts go on campouts for two reasons in our troop.

1. Recruiting drive. Two events a year we invite scout age boys to attend. We have parents fill out application prior to going and we have attend one meeting. If after event they are not interested, we tear up application.

2. Family events.- We do a couple big events (ski trip, whitewater rafting) that we turn into a family activity. Lots of adults and kids come.

The rest of the year activities are restricted to registered boys and adult leaders.

Wow. Mich632. If a scout wants to recruit a buddy into Scouts, but the timing does not coincide with your "recruiting" event, he may not participate. That's harsh. I cannot imagine not allowing a kid who wants to see what it's all about to come along on a campout.

WOW, I can understand your thinking that I would deny a scout age boy from attending when I said, "The rest of the year activities are restricted to registered boys and adult leaders."

I was really talking about family members. Sorry.

We have two "scheduled" activites for scout age boys. If a scout had a friend who really wanted to attend a activity I would never deny letting him see what we do.

Obviously our goal is to attract and maintain boys interested in scouting.

Trail Pounder said

"My 6 year old twins go camping and sailing with the Sea Scouts. They've got a lot of tent time in already. The only concern that has been voiced was a mutual groan from the teenagers when they wanted to go to the beach and I made them take my boys along with."

Sound like you wanted free baby sitting service. It would be time for me to find a new unit, especially after the remark "I own the Sailboats."

Family camping is a separate activity put on by the Council,District, or a Cub Pack, not a Troop. If a troop is doing things that a 6-year-old can participate in then they can't be doing a very good Boy Scout program.

If a parent brings a sibling they should not be there to participate in the Scouts' activities.

BW