Religious Emblem Program

queenj wrote:What about a non-denominational Christian award? I'm positive that the religion I'm (somewhat) following would not develop their own emblem but I want to give my son a choice if he wants to do this acheivement for the religion section or the other one.As I wrote above, if "they" can get together and sponsor a religious emblem I see no reason why your son couldn't earn it and wear his religious knot.

The problem is defining a non-denominational "group" to sponsor the medal. BSA won't do it, as these are non-BSA awards open to Girl Scouts, Campfire, 4-H, etc.

Another option is to seek a pastor or priest in one of the more established churches and see if they would mentor your son through the program, which they might be willing to do, especially if they sponsor a Cub Scout Pack themselves.

Good luck,

Fred Goodwin

Protestant Committee on Scouting

Alamo Area Council

National Episcopal Scouters Association

queenj:

encourager is right, and I was mistaken in my earlier post.

The "Duty to God" brochure clearly states that "community churches" and "independent" Christian churches may use the God & Country materials, and the boy may apply for the age-appropriate medal.

Check your local Scout Shop to see if they have the workbooks:God & Me: 1st-3rd gradesGod & Family: 4th & 5th gradesGod & Church: 6th-8th gradesGod & Life: 9th-12th gradesLook for a "mentor" guide so you can help your son progress through his workbook. Your pastor may need a copy of the "counselor guide" (which you'll have to buy him, if he's not aware of the program).

After your son completes his work, your pastor will need to sign his workbook so you can apply to P.R.A.Y. for his medal.

Good luck!

Fred Goodwin

Protestant Committee on Scouting

Alamo Area Council