Lessons I would pass on now to my 13 year old Eagle Scout self.

Yes, some of you know I was one of those young Eagle Scouts I see written about here from time to time.

If I could send a note back to that kid now, at the age of 38, here's what I would send him.

When I'm done posting, I'd love to see what you would tell yourself at 13, or, if you're an Eagle, what you would tell your newly "minted" Eagle Scout self.

Young Unc:

1. Brush up on your basic "Scout skills." Re-learn and become proficient with every knot, lash, cooking skill, everything. Because you're a young Eagle, if you try something and it doesn't "glow" youth and adults will question your Eagle Badge. It isn't fair, but it will happen.

2. You didn't get Eagle because you can light a fire in the rain. You goy Eagle because you earned it. Believe me, there are enough protections in place to make sure you earned it -- boards of review, time requirements, leadership requirements, and, most importantly others perception of how well you live up to the Scout Oath and Law. That's the one called "Scout Spirit."

3. Your mother did not earn your Eagle Scout. She did make sure you did what you said you were going to do and when you said you were going to do it. That is also a testiment of an Eagle Scout. Your father didn't make it any easier or harder for you to earn your Eagle.

4. All that stuff about responsibility and duty that's in your Eagle Charge -- true. Every word of it. Re-read it frequently because that is truly what the world expects of you.

5. Eagle is not something you have, it is what you ARE. No one says, I have Eagle. They say I am an Eagle Scout. Never forget it.

6. People, including adults you respect very much, but not those who truly know you, will question the integrity of an Eagle badge on the shirt of one so young. They think you don't know they're saying it. But you'll know. Let me save you the time of making it up as you went along and tell you how I did it when I was in your shoes:

Try not to let it get to you. That won't work after a while. You'll know when the right time to do it is, but if you overhear one of those old OA advisors -- the guy with the zipper on his shorts that seems like it's 12 feet long -- say someting he thinks you didn't hear about "that little kid" being an Eagle. Ask him what year he earned his Eagle Badge and how old he was.

I'll tell you right now that he never earned it. That's how he "knows" you're too young. :)

Nice talking to you, young Unc.

While I'm at it, here's a free, outside of Scouting, bit of advice:

Never date a girl named Melvin.

Unc.

What would you tell yourself, or what advice would you give a young Eagle Scout?

UG

Redfeather:

Of course you may re-print it and use it. That was my hope when I wrote it.

My other hope was to try to pursuade those who are in favor of minimum age to earn Eagle that age is not the issue. I'd love to hear from more of those guys. Perhaps this thread will still be active when they get back from their Labor Day Weekend.

In fact, Redfeather, if there's time, send me a cassette tape, and I'll read a cleaned up version of my advice and your young Eagle can hear it from the author in his own voice.

PM me for the address.

Unc.

Eamonn at 40 something to Eamonn at 18.

1/ Never give up on a friend.

While you don't know it now many of your best friends share your last name.

2/ The Queens Scout Award is really something. What you did to earn it was really something.

The people that helped and aided you along the way are everything.

3/ That Award shows that you have made it. You are special for just being you, but this award is special. You can quit now. You can stop. Scouts and Scouting has worked its magic. The record books will record your achievement. Tales of the clever things and tales of the dumb things you have done will be told and retold for many years. But if you stay. If you stay in you will find that the magic never fades and every day can be an adventure.

4/ Some people say that you are a "Good Kid" That's fine but remember doing good is better then being good.

5/ Right now you believe you can change the world. Never lose that idea. Just work on one person at a time.

6/ Never ever be scared to love. Love each day. Love yourself. Love what you do. But most of all love others. Not in a weak or puny way. Go for it, give it all you have got. Be passionate.

7/ Make time for yourself. Time to sit quietly alone with your thoughts. Time to reflect where you have been and where you are going. Time to say thanks to the Big Guy.

And you might want to stock up on some of that Groom out gray now!!

Eamonn.

as another one of those 13-year old Eagle Scouts (and now as a veteran SM of 13-old Eagle Scouts), i would like to add the following.

it is given as part of our Eagle Scout Charge, at all of our Eagle Scout Courts of Honor:

"I charge you to give back to Scouting, all that has been given to you. For only when you return Scouting what you have taken , will the true meanning of being an Eagle Scout be manifested to you"

When I look back on my scouting youth, I have two regrets of things I didn't do. I remember sitting on my bed reading Boy's Life. I'd read an article or see an add for Philmont and think how absolutely great it would be to go. I remember daydreaming about Philmont very clearly. I also remember reading about the Religious emblems available and thinking how cool it would be to earn one. Again, I very clearly remember daydreaming about earning the Ad Altaire Dei. I'm not an Eagle Scout, sometimes I wish I was but not as much as I regret not saying something to someone about going to Philmont or earning the Ad Altaire Dei.

So, if I could send a message back to me as a youth, I would tell myself to tell my dreams to my parents or someone else that may help me make them a reality. I would tell myself to take action because a dream will only be a dream if it is kept inside myself.

SWScouter

If I could go back in time, heres some advice that I would give my self at age thirteen:

1) Despite your impressions, most adults really dont know nearly as much as they lead you to believe. So be bold, and dont be afraid to express your thoughts and fight for your ideas.

2) Despite the former, most adults really do deserve much more respect than what the average teenager is willing to give. So stand out from your peers and spend the time it takes to get to know the adults in your life well.

But thats just the stuff that comes to my mind today. Im sure theres plenty more that I wish I could say, like - History or even English Literature can be fun! And buy Microsoft!

Rooster:

Funny you should mention Microsoft.

I was going to tell my 13 year old self that I should buy Microsoft. Then I decided against throwing it in. If I had bought it, I'm pretty sure it would have fundamentally changed me.

I am what I am and that's all what I am. I'm happy with it.

Unc.