Training a cat to be a Scout

I had a cat named Zehe (prounounced Zeee.)

My wife and I have no children, but that cat Zehe was our son -- you may or may not understand what I mean.

The cat was everything I would hope a Scout, or myself, would be or am. He was trustworthy, especially loyal, etc.

We got Zehe (who we named Ezekial after the Old Testament prophet) and and his litter-mate. The littermate never took to me much, but Zehe (as he ended up being called by my wife and I) did.

Zehe was a very loyal cat. He would hang out by the front door if I had a meeting and would fret all night long if I didn't come home (I would be travelling or at a Scout campout.) Wouldn't rest, or eat unless I was here.

Zehe was my boy. I laid my head down and used him as a pillow and he loved it. I could rub his fur the wrong way and he would purr and love it. He learned to look me in the eye when I talked to him and would come running when I called him.

In a way, we're talking about a cat. In another way, we're talking about a Scout. He took leadership when it was given to him, he took his own counsel when he had the need.

After 15 years of being my son, he was diagnosed with cancer. Given 6 weeks to live.

6 months later, and after a move of 350 miles, Zehe was ill. My wife and I had moved into our new house. Zehe's litter mate had died.

As a last move, on a night when he was not well off and after 14 years, we finally allowed him to sleep in our room, Zehe made a fuss at 2:00 AM. I asked my wife to turn on the light.

My loyal "son" crawled into my arms. I petted him, he purred, and then he died. Peacefully, loyally, and in my arms.

Now I have purchased a kitten, we call Jake. We love him as a new son -- not the same as the old, but loved nonetheless. My "Scouting" trek with the kitten becomes the path I followed with Zehe.

Zehe, for those who have read this far, was given to his Lord, our God, and rests with his favorite toy, on our soil near the steps to the deck.

Let us hope all of our Scouts outlive us, but let us all know we've made a difference in their lives.

God Bless.

Unc.

Unc,

We have discussed our pets and while I'm not a cat person I dearly love our dogs.

We have Joe the English Setter, who is close to being a cat. Most of his day is spent sleeping and finding different places to sleep. When I'm home he is rarely far from me. We have a big picture of him asleep on our fridge with a caption that reads "Joe preparing to go goose hunting."

We also have Shane a collie that looks very much like Lassie. Shane is OJ's dog he sleeps in his room.When OJ, was young he would ride his bike and Shane would be running along side of him. Shane loves to play ball and will case and fetch till his mouth bleeds. Sad to say he is going on 14 and his hips are not in great shape.

We lost Woofter a few years back. She was a Manchester Terrier that we bought in London when we were first married. She was my dog as a pup she would wrap herself around my neck. I remember taking her to the local park where we met some of the Scouts that were in the troop , they all made a fuss of her and said that she looked like a mouse on stilts.

It cost me more to fly her over from London then it cost me to fly Her That Must Be Obeyed!!

I was heart broken when the time came.

As I read about Zehe, I am wondering if I should leave OJ with you for a while?

Eamonn.

Eamonn, dear friend that you are: I believe that you mean that you would like to leave Shane with us for a while. We would take care of him and give him the kind of reverent send off that he deserves, gladly and sadly at the same time. Unc.

ahhhh, pets! We have two adopted cats and one stray dog.

One of adopted cats is a little black and white cat named Lily. She seemed as sweet as she could be when I took her out of her cage to check her out. I was looking for a lap cat. I got her home and she ran under the bed. That has been several years ago and she is still under the bed. She is our scardy cat. She wants to be loved so much, but it has to be on her terms. She has to rub up against you and will run if you try to approach her or hold her. My wife loves her. I think it has something to do with female's talent at playing hard to get.

Our other cat is Spanky. He is part Siamese and 300% tomcat. He is the most nosey and curious cat I've ever seen. A total stranger can walk in the house and Spankers is up in their lap like a flash checking them out. He likes to torment Lily at every opportunity. He has a thing for q-tips. He likes to open the cabinet door under the bathroom sink and turn the trash can over so he can eat the cotton off the ends. If none are available, he gets inside the cabinet, goes behind the drawers and pushes them open, comes back out and climbs in the drawer, opens the metal container holding the q-tips and spreads them all over the bathroom. He thinks he owns the house and his job is to be worshiped on a regular basis. I love the cat. He sleeps with my son and he climbs in my lap at every given opportunity. My wife hates him. She says he is a devil cat. I think it has something to do with females not appreciating the simplicity of the male species.

Jake. MY dog. 155 lbs of great dane/bull mastiff. He is the biggest baby you've ever seen. Not a single mean bone in his body. Always eager to please. Always obedient. Always wants his huge paw held when he sits next to you. He wants to be a lap dog in the worst way. He thinks his place is in the house with everyone else. He'll set at the door and whine when you get home. He obeys commands on or off the leash. He loves to ride IN the truck with me. He is 8 years old now and starting to show his age. Large breeds don't live as long as smaller breeds. He has been a dream dog. A once in a life time friend and pet. The day I lose him will be one of the saddest days in my life. He can never be replaced.

No Unc. The offer is OJ.

Shane is not the proud owner of a driving permit. Shane didn't jump into the driving seat last night and inform me that he was driving home. That was OJ, it was his first time driving in the dark.

Of course if you talk to Her That Must Be Obeyed, she will want you to take me. If that were to happen both you and I would be put up for adoption by Mrs. Unc. - But Boy would we have fun!!

Eamonn.

Unc,

A very touching story. I am sadden for your loss. I too am a pet lover, and don't have and children yet. Still time only 29. I have two dogs the older is about 8 now and showing her age and that is my baby. The younger one is about 4. I dont know what I am going to do when I loose her. There pretty close to being real children they fight over toys, and just can be so naughty! I want to take them on camping trips but I'm to over protective. Dont want any thing to happen so I leave them home with the "mom"

Anyway thanks for allowing me to brag about my "kids"

And Unc keep your head up!oneday I'll be in your position (hopefully not in a long time) and I'll need to talk about it too!!

Aloha,

Ken