Parents at PLC Planning Meetings

I suppose there are PLC meetings and there are PLC meetings.

Back home living in a big city the Scouts could walk or jump on a bus to get to the meetings. Now that I live out in the sticks the boys need a ride to and from the meetings.

I agree whole heartedly with Bob White. However I used the PLC meetings as a place to make sure that the PL's and SPL could practice the stuff that was coming up at the meetings. While not a dry run, we did cover most of the skills that we would be using at the up and coming meetings.

Sure we spent some time going over the planning and business end of things, but Scouts are not sitting animals.

When I was Scoutmaster I seen contacting or passing on information to other adults or organizations as something that either took on myself or worked with a PLC member to see that it was done. Most times the only adult other then me was the troop Quartermaster and he didn't say much.

I do think that we owe it to the parents to be where we are supposed to be when we say that we are going to be. While missing 15 Min's. Of Will and Grace might not be a big deal, parents have other kids at home and people work odd hours.

As for sharing in the wisdom of others. I have no problem with asking anybody to do stuff. I do however like to talk with them and explain what is needed and how we do things.

I was at an OA weekend this past weekend. On Friday night it was pouring down rain. A little Lad and his Dad asked where they were to put up their tent. Little Lad was all dressed up in his poncho, with a very nice picture of Mickey Mouse on the back. Dad was in his shirt sleeves. Dad had the Lads pack and tent in hand the Lad had nothing. This Dad seemed like a very nice fellow but he didn't understand who we go about doing things. Before I asked this guy or allowed this guy to do things with the troop I would like to give him a quick how we do things 101.

Active or willing parents are a gift and we do need to do everything that we can to get them to do what they can. Still the PLC is not the place for them to volunteer.Parent talent surveys work well, if we follow up on them.

If parents are going to sit in the same room as the PLC, the SM needs to lay down the ground rules before the meeting starts and if an adult or ASM starts interrupting the meeting the SM ought to stop the meeting and go over the ground rules again.

Eamonn

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a web page from www.troop97.net that had an excellent page tht captures the sprit of boy lead troops. The page can be found at:

http://www.troop97.net/unique2.htm

The SM has been at this troop since 1979. Here is small part I thought hit the nail on the head.

"Boy Scout camping activities center on the patrol, where boys learn teamwork, leadership, and most camping skills. It is important that adults not be in the middle of patrol activities such as site selection, tent pitching, meal preparation, and anything else where boys get to practice decision-making.

A key difference between Boy Scouting and Cub Scouting/Webelos is leadership. Look for the word "leader" in a job title, and you will begin to appreciate the difference. The responsible person for a Cub/Webelos den is the adult Den Leader. The responsible person for a Boy Scout patrol is the boy Patrol Leader.

This isn't token leadership (like a denner). A Patrol Leader has real authority and genuine responsibilities. Much of the success, safety, and happiness of six to ten other boys depends directly on him.

Boy Scouting teaches leadership. And boys learn leadership by practicing it, not by watching adults lead.

So what do we adults do, now that we've surrendered so much direct authority to boys? Here are our troop's guidelines on the indirect, advisory role you now enjoy (no kidding, you should enjoy watching your son take progressively more mature and significant responsibilities as he zooms toward adulthood).

The underlying principle is never do anything for a boy that he can do himself. We allow boys to grow by practicing leadership and by learning from their mistakes. And while Scout skills are an important part of the program, what ultimately matters when our Scouts become adults is not whether they can use a map & compass, but whether they can offer leadership to others in tough situations; and can live by a code that centers on honest, honorable, and ethical behavior.

Boys need to learn to make decisions without adult intervention (except when it's a matter of immediate safety). Boys are in a patrol so they can learn leadership and teamwork without adult interference.

Being an adult advisor is a difficult role, especially when we are advising kids (even worse, our own sons). Twice each year, the Boy Scouts of America offers special training on how to do this, which we expect our uniformed adults to take. And any adult is welcomeand encouragedto take the training (see the Scoutmaster; dates are in the annual calendar).

If a parent goes on a campout, you are an automatic member of our "Geezers" (adult) patrol. This patrol has several purposesgood food and camaraderie (of course), but more important is providing an example the boy patrols can follow without our telling them what to do (we teach by example). Since a patrol should camp as a group, we expect the "Geezers" to do so also; that way, adults don't tent in or right next to a boy patrol where your mere presence could disrupt the learning process.

Quite simply, our troop policy requires adults to cook, eat, and tent separately from the Scouts (even dads & sons). We are safely nearby, but not smotheringly close. Sure, go ahead and visit the patrol sites (not just your son's), talk to your son (and the other Scouts), ask what's going on or how things are going. But give the guys room to grow while you enjoy the view. Show a Scout how to do something, but don't do it for him. Avoid the temptation to give advice, and don't jump in just to prevent a mistake from happening (unless it's serious). We all learn best from our mistakes. And let the patrol leader lead.

Your job is tough, challenging, and ultimately rewarding, because your son will be a man the day after tomorrow."