BSA Sailing Adventure vs. the Hurricane

Note: Sea Base didn't have much in terms of facilities in Marsh Harbor, slips were rented, captains were for hire, some housing for staff, but all of us who've been there surely have broken hearts.

The Bahamians who I had met there loved the scouts. Lifelong residents have fond memories of being scouts. I hope the one cab driver who I gave a patch to still has it as a token that I'm praying for him, and looking to send a donation in that direction.

Things like sailing adventures are that community's life's blood. Restoring their boat slips can't happen soon enough. It's not going to be pretty for a long time, but If they can make it safe enough to visit, I'd encourage any scout to plan an adventure as soon as they open again.

1 hour ago, qwazse said:

Note: Sea Base didn't have much in terms of facilities in Marsh Harbor, slips were rented, captains were for hire, some housing for staff, but all of us who've been there surely have broken hearts.

The Bahamians who I had met there loved the scouts. Lifelong residents have fond memories of being scouts. I hope the one cab driver who I gave a patch to still has it as a token that I'm praying for him, and looking to send a donation in that direction.

Things like sailing adventures are that community's life's blood. Restoring their boat slips can't happen soon enough. It's not going to be pretty for a long time, but If they can make it safe enough to visit, I'd encourage any scout to plan an adventure as soon as they open again.

Yes, booking a trip there would definitely put a vote of confidence in the people trying to recover from all the devastation.  Might be wise to have a "Plan B" in mind though, just in case their recovery is slower than they hope...