Best Troop Run Summer Camp

I was wondering what camps you have organised at Troop level that run for a week or so in summer.

I figure that a canoe expedition or beach camp might be the go. Temps here will be into the low 40's (pls translate someone) so being around water is vital. Too many snakes in the bush too.

For myself I have never run a weeks Troop camping in summer. Winter I have done but summer is the next challenge.

So what have you done that was a real rip snorter?

We have done week, even two week long summer trips. However, we never stay in the same place for the entire week. If we want to do that we go to summer camp. Instead we take great long touring type trips. For example, we might go to Colorado to Rocky Mountain National Park. We might spend four days camping and hiking in the park, then drive to some other nearby attractions and do more camping and hiking. Then squeeze in a evening trail ride at another location, spend another day whitewater rafting, and of coarse there are the various stops between Kentucky and Colorado that must be made on the way there and back. I could provide you with itenararies for trips to Colorado, Canada, Florida, DC/Jambo, and possibly Wisconsin, Wyoming, and some other places that we have done in recent memory.

I do know of troops that refuse to go to real summer camps and instead put on a miniature troop summer camp, it lasts a week or more, and they essentially do the same stuff that a regular summer camp does.

Whatever floats your boat works with me. (Reminds me of something I would like to try some summer... begins planning long distance Huk Finn like river trip... 1. buy, borrow, steal, rent, or otherwise procure a houseboat... 2. procure gas... 3. prcure food 4. drinks 5. ice 6. people 7. realises I only want to go one way so now I need to find a one way boat rental service...)

42 C = 107.6 F (hot as hell -- is that what you meant? Equivalent to the hottest areas of the US - Calif-Arizona desert)

42 F = 5.6 C (cool - equiv to our November on the mid-atlantic coast)

www.onlineconversion.com (neat site to bookmark)

As I have posted before back home summer camp was a two week summer experience.

We camped all over England and Wales. Had a really good Summer camp in Ireland, camping near the Lakes of Killarney. We spent all winter making Fiberglass Kayaks.

We camped at the International Scout Center at Kandersteg.

We used the Scout Center just outside Rotterdam a lot. That is neat as you are camping at 55 feet below sea level.

There was a troop from the Council that made the cover of the US Scouting Magazine a couple of years back they camped on the beach. They said dealing with the sand which got into everything was a real pain.

Eamonn.

Thanks sctldr. 107F is it.

Iĺl pass on Proud Eagles itiniary as the fares to USA are a bit out of reach. The travelling camps sound pretty good though. We did a shorter standing camp in order to run a JLTC type program but our last camp was mid winter on Fraser Island - biggest sand island in the southern hemispere or world or something. Sand everywhere - tastes crunchy. Summer there will be crowded so we are wondering about other things.

Huck Fin sounds alright too. Were not called the Northern Rivers for nothing.

Just to be sure I understand what you are talking about, when we use the phrase "summer camp" here in the states we usually are referring to a resident camp where you go and stay there for a week.

Extended outings are another matter. Here on the left coast of the US we are fortunate in having ready access to the Sierras with numerous opportunities for extended backpacking expeditions. Many troops do that as a matter of routine. Popular destinations are the backcountry of Yosemite National Park and Mount Whitney, the highest peak in the lower 48.

Eisley I got the term confused as you suggested. I am interested in something other than a sumnmer camp then. Camps run by Troops in the summer for a week or so.

A longer hike with our older Scouts would be good. Our Nat Parks are not all that accessable for rescue. I will start looking further afield.