In the summer of 1950, when I was 6 years old, there was a series of floods close to my hometown of Lincoln, Nebraska. The disaster killed 23 people and destroyed 60,000 acres of land. Some adults thought it would be good experience for the Boy Scouts to help out by delivering food and clothing to victims. I was a Cub Scout and went along. I remember sitting in the bus staring out at waters that lined the highway as we entered a small town with our packages. When we left to head back to Lincoln, a river of water was flowing across the highway blocking our way. I was terrified, even though our driver managed to get through to safety.

Now and again, I still have dreams of being stranded by a flood, cut off from all means of escape with only the hope that the water will recede on its own. In time the water does recede. The terror subsides, and people return to normal. But what will “normal” be when a changing climate drives the weather that produces new floods?

by Bob Kerrey, Democrat, is a former governor and U.S. senator from Nebraska.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/mar/23/bob-kerrey-midwests-floods-are-catastrophic-is-thi/