Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Our troop went to Philmont over the last couple of weeks. I know they hiked a bunch. 80 miles I think. They also did some conservation and trail work. Is this the 50 miler patch.


What about on water. What does that entail. When do you have to do the work. May it be done later?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a common practice to complete the conservation work at different places and times. It is difficult to get that many hours in in a single effort. When I was at Philmont two years ago, they provided us with a slip of paper with our crew number on it certifying that we had hiked 50 miles and done so many hours of conservation work. Since our crew was one of four in a council contingent, I provided a copy of that slip to the scoutmasters of each troop contributing participants to our crew. You will want to inquire about this when your people return.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interestiing question...the requirements as written seem to leave open the possibility of sailing 50 miles. Quoting from the "Boy Scout Requirements 2002" book below, the language talks about boats and waterways, but not paddling. This source is a few years old, but I don't think this has changed during the interval.


"The 50 Miler Award is presented to each qualifying individual for satisfactory participation in an approved trip. In order to qualify for the award the group of which the individual is a member must fulfill all of the following requirements.


1. Make complete and satisfactory plans for the trip, including the possibilities of advancement.


2. Cover the trail or canoe or boat route of not less than 50 consecutive miles; take a minimum of five consecutive days to complete the trip without the aid of motors. (In some areas pack animals may be used.)


3. During the time on the trail or waterway, complete a minimum of 10 hours each of group work on projects to improve the trail, springs, campsite, portage, or area. If, after checking with recognized authorities, it is not possible to complete 10 hours each of group work on the trail,a similar project may be done in the unit's home area. (There should be no unauthorized cutting of brush or timber.)


4. Unit or tour leader must then file a 50 Miler Award application with the local council service center. This application gives additional details about planning the trip."




This explicitly authorizes doing conservation work at other times and places to complete the award. This question was raised in a different thread.


It is up to the local council to decide what qualifies.




Pick up a copy of the application to see what other information is included. Discuss your ideas with the cognizant council official before committing to a plan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Our troop is planning a 50 miler on flat water, (Ross Lake, 26 miles long, N Cascades), but concerned about being "wind bound" during one or more of the 6 days on the water. Can we combine paddleing with hiking, if we plan a couple of 10-15 mile hikes along the way? This would combine the paddling and hiking to reach the 50 miles. thanks...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...