Troop Committe Procedures

Please let me know how the Troop Committee Chair is elected/appointed if the head of the chartered organization is not active in the troop. Does it then fall to Troop Committee to elect the Chairman? Thanks.

Actually it falls to the Chartered Organization's Institutional Head or Charetr Organization Representative to select and approve the Committee Chair. The IH or COR can consider a candidate recommended by the committee if they want to.

The official guidance for Troop Committee operations is the "Troop Committee Guidebook". Hopefully this is available in your nearest BSA service center. As far as I can tell, the Guidebook is silent on the subject of selection of the committee chair. In my mind the committee chair should be elected by the troop committee, although in some instances the committee chair might be appointed by the chartered organization representative. I think you have the latitude to have an election if you wish to do so. If you currently do not have a chair, contact the other people you know are on the committee and organize a meeting. Be sure to notify your COR. Presumably that person would be more than happy to have the committee take the initiative. Of course, organizing such a meeting means you probably will be the one elected to the position.

BW got it right. Sadly, many CO's and COR's are very inactive....even when asked to be active. When I was our Pack Committee Chair, I was recruited by our Cubmaster. I told him I wanted to register as an Assistant Den Leader and he said what we really needed was a CC. At the time he was functioning as the Cubmaster, treasurer and CC. He certainly didn't want all of those jobs, but had trouble getting anyone to step up to the jobs. He jumped at my offer to help. I think many positions get filled that way. But if you do it by the book (the preferred method), the COR is responsible for filling the CC position.

I agree that the Troop Committee Guidebook is a primary resource for Committee operation.

"As far as I can tell, the Guidebook is silent on the subject of selection of the committee chair."

It is?

Page 7 under the heading

Chartered Organization

"Each chartered organization using the Scouting program provides a meeting place, selects a Scoutmaster, appoints a troop committee of at least three adults, and chooses a chartered organization representative.

On the same page under the responsibilities of the Charter Organization Representative, the Troop Committee Guidebook says that the COR....

"Secures a Committee Chairperson."

You will find the committee responsibilities on page 13. Nowhere in the list of committee responsibilities does it say the committee chooses a chairperson.

I am amazed at how much I learn reading the forum. In our troop, we elect the CC and SM every year. I agree with Bob White that the COR secures a CC. However, that might mean he allows the troop committee to have an election to choose a member of the committee who wishes to do the job as is done in this troop. I think if the COR suddenly yanked the CC (which seems to be his right to do so), you might have a very upset group of committee members and parents, especially if the election has been allowed before.

BW,

I saw some of that same language, but I don't think that precludes the committee getting together and having an election unless the chartered organization objects. As a practical matter, one rarely has more than one person interested in the committee chair job, and the person who is interested and willing usually gets the job, unless the COR has a clear objection in his or her mind.

"As a practical matter, one rarely has more than one person interested in the committee chair job,"

Scouting tip #247

Never select a volunteer by who wants the job. Always seek the person you want for the job.

The COR as explained in the Committee Guide serves as head of the "scouting Department" in the organization.

In addition you will find the insrtruction that the COR and IH select the Committee Chair is in the Troop Committee Challenge basic training for committee members.

Help select the committee. Guide them in the direction that will best assist you. Steer them towards the best person for the CC job. Make everyone believe that you had nothing to do with it. Act as if you have been given a great gift by the COR. Honor them for knowing exactly what needed to be done.

What I got out of the book,

FB