Anyone here in Oklahoma?

Jason,

I'm not from OK, but I was wondering when you became a beleiver and how old you are? I didn't get serious about my walk until about 14 years ago. I'm 45 and still struggling to conform to His Will.

In reference to another thread - You were right - Reagan was the best president! (and no, I didn't forget about Lincoln or anyone else)

By the way, welcome to the family! In Him.

I'm 27 yrs old and I was born again 1 yr ago. God planted a seed in me long ago and I always seem to cross paths with individuals that God used to water my seed. Now I attend Church and read the word regularly. Don't forget.....Christians are not perfect. I too struggle but hearing and reading the word strengthens my faith. Let me also add it is important to your Christian walk to attend a church where they teach the word well! I don't think I could attend the old church I attended as a boy and get fed appropriately.(This message has been edited by Jason OK)

Jason,

Your experience and mine are the same. I grew up in a church where Bible reading was not encouraged and church taught doctrine was not always explained or supported by the Word. Even as a young child, these things weighed on me. It's amazing how many churches tailor their teachings to appeal to the masses as opposed to spreading God's truth. The Bible strongly warns that Gods focused wrath awaits those who add or subtract from His Word. Yet, we live in times where this seems to be common.

I wish I had responded to Gods call much sooner. I know hes been with me all along. As you seemed to have experienced, I too have heard His voice on numerous occasions throughout my life. But convinced that all of my sins (past, present, and future) were forgiven, regardless of when I turned to follow Him, I continued to embrace my sins. Then one day, a good friend of mine at work challenged me. He asked me why I was confident that I was one of Gods children. He posed the possibility that I wasnt a true believer. Was I reading His Word regularly and praying for His guidance? Was I trying to find His Will for my life? Was I worshipping Him regularly? I had to respond to these questions with the same answer each time - no. Truth be told, while I always thought of myself as a believer, it struck me that I never really sought to live as one. Intellectually, Ive always believed in Christ. Still, I wasnt confident that my self-professed belief penetrated my heart. Was my heart enlivened by sin or by the love of Christ? As my friend once preached you can force yourself to eat beets because you know theyre good for you but only God can make one like beets. In this analogy, if beets represent Christ and His righteousness, then we live a world where everyone is eating ice cream. So what can one do if ones heart is bent towards sin (ice cream) and not Christ (beets)? I wasnt sure. At that time, the thought occurred to me, my faith may be in name only. This prospect scared the Hell out of me. I knew enough to be concerned about my salvation.

Also, at about this time, my four-year-old son was coming to my wife and I in tears on a daily basis, for about two weeks straight. My son wanted assurances that we (his family) would all be together in heaven. This was very striking to us since we rarely had conversations about religion with one another much less with our children. In fact, my wife had no idea that I was having conversations about faith in Christ with my friend at work. Furthermore, my sons concern was totally out of the blue. He had not seen any movies or television shows that would have prompted this anxiety. We pointedly asked him why he had such concerns and he could not answer. Instinctively, he seemed to have realized that God may judge us to be unfit for His kingdom. I dont know if you have children but when you do, let me tell you they become a very powerful force in your life. My sons angst became my angst. I was driven to my knees.

Today, I am confident that my heart is for Jesus. I stand in awe of Him. The suffering that He willing endured, so that we may know His love, amazes me. It is a love that one cannot help but want to return. I want to glorify His name.

Jason Grace and peace to you. I pray that your faith grows continually. If youre ever in Maryland, send me a private message. Maybe we can hook up. I am helping a friend of mine seed a church. Wed love to have you join us one Sunday.

For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. Philippians 1:21