To be or not allowed to be...that is the question.

Interesting perspective, but what does your point have to do with the thread subject?

PS: do you really think our defense department refers to their demigraphic statistics before it makes tactical recommendations to out Commander in Chief?

CE

It used to be that you needed special permission from your council to be a leader if you were not a citizen of the USA.

This was changed a few years back and is now clearly defined in the by-laws and rules and regulations of the BSA. The change was in Scouting Magazine.

Sad to say I can't find it!!

As a non-citizen I did get the OK from the Council Exec. and have been around for a little while.

When it comes to teaching the requirements that are in black and white that is easy. I think that I have a more then fair knowledge of American Flag etiquette and learn a little more American history everyday.

While I would never show any disrespect to the Flag of any nation or the lawful head of any nation. Things get a little bit more difficult when it comes to the Pledge Of Allegiance. I can teach Scouts the words and what they mean but I can't make the pledge. A bit like an American singing God Save The Queen!!

Sad to sat while the English and the English government are very open to dual citizenship the American government is not.

Eamonn

There are plenty of middle class white kids in the military, the local barber shop has a list of about 30 local kids who have been in Iraq.

Without a draft, the economically disadvantaged will always be drawn to military service. It has always been that way. In the days of the British colonial expansion, a poor boy could become wealthy as a soldier (plunder and loot). Now the poor boy is looking for an education and job skill but the risks remain the same.

Eamonn and others are partially correct when it comes to citizenship requirements for adult leaders. I've spent a bit of time over the years studying arcane bits of Scouting rules, and am confident in this area.

A few years ago, to be an adult leader in the BSA, one had to be a U.S. Citizen or have Declared Intent (I never was able to find out what that phrase means) and subscribe to the BSA principles.

The citizenship requrement in the Bylaws was dropped in 1999 or 2000 and became what Bob White described.

BSAbrit -- you qualify for the Scoutmaster job. It's up to you whether you accept it or not.

Unc.

Hello BSAbrit,

The finest SM I ever recruited was a bank president. He made it clear that he could only make a fraction of meetings and would rarely make campouts. However, he was a magnificent organizer and inspiring leader, organized the ASM's extremely well, set a vision and ran a great Troop.

He also was extremely well respected in the community. When he signed on, within a couple of weeks, we had ten new Scouts whose families said "Well if Mr. XXXXX is going to be SM, that is something we want to do."

He also is an Eagle Scout and was later presented the Distinguished Eagle Scout award.

To be is the answer to part of your question. Do you want to be is even more important.

I visited a Troop meeting and the Scouts knew their SM was leaving. I noted this look in their eyes that may have been asking if I was to be the next and if not, then who and if nobody, then what?

Scouts want a program and an adult that wants to lead them. If it is your desire, then you will find a thousand ways to do a great job. Obstacles are deliberately placed to allow a person time to make their decision. Once the decision is made then that choice will begin to clear the path.

FB