Eagle Scout graduates 4th in his class Annapolis

College Station's (TX) Michael Walker graduated fourth in his class overall and first among midshipmen majoring in mechanical engineering. Walker said the academy provided him with a valuable experience he does not think he could have found anywhere else.

"I can think of a multitude of nights I was up until 3 a.m. doing homework and went to bed for two hours and then had to wake up at 5 a.m. to work out," Walker said. "[It's] very taxing and very difficult, but at the same time, it prepares you for being a naval officer. As hard as it was, I'm thankful to have [had] the opportunity."

Walker, who is an Eagle Scout, said he feels as though Boy Scouts gave him the skills needed to succeed at an institution like the Naval Academy. He also credits his parents, his sister, Anna, and the community at St. Joseph Catholic School with helping him get to where he is today.

His post-graduation journey will include spending a year at the University of Cambridge to pursue a Master of Philosophy in Engineering. Walker was awarded the Churchill Scholarship, which "provides funding to American students for a year of Master's study in science, mathematics, and engineering at the University of Cambridge, based at Churchill College."

After Cambridge, Walker will attend Naval Nuclear Power School and hopes to serve as a Navy submarine officer.

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/college-station-s-michael-walker-graduates-fourth-in-his-class/article_41e27404-26c2-5b04-8202-be125a5ad876.html

Scout Salute

• Upvote 2