Hi all

Being Chair of the district camporees I'm trying to come up with some new ideas for activities for the fall camporee in October (I believe in early planning for a great camporee). Anyway since it's an olympic year and the theme for October is athletics I thought nothing better than a Scout Olympics We traditonally do first aid, lashing, blind fold tent, orienteering course etc for camporees but I'd like something different for this one. So I'd like to pick your brains for some really neat ideas that the boys wouldn't normally get to do that often seeing how olympics are every 4 years.

We have the McKee Scout reservation book so we have plenty of room.

Thanks

Have an Olympics. Have a box of Gold, Silver, and Bronze Medals ready to present. Build a three level platform and play the National Anthem. Can we still play the National Anthem? Swimming Race, Shot Put, Discuss, Sprints, hurdles, Marathon (a short one), relays, cycling, soccer, archery, air rifle, you get the picture.

Hey Bluegrass neighbor. Our troop was asked to help organize our district camporee this year as well. One of the ideas they tossed around was an olympics theme.

Some of the initial ideas involved combining olympic & scouting themes, such as have a scout skills relay (patrols run from station to station, competing in different skills), an olmpic torch lighting contest (fire building), etc. They are still in the early stages, so I'll be watching for ideas as well.

SMT376,

Have your Camporee committee get together and go over the Athletics and maybe the Sports merit badge requirements. Decide which ones would have to be done prior to the camporee and which ones could be done that weekend. You could also have team (Patrol) games as well, for boys who already have the badge(s) or dont wish to compete in indiviual events. Friday night you could put on a torch relay run and fire lighting ceremony and saturday night have a Medal ceremony (Play the National Anthem as an opening). Put together a flyer with this info to unit leaders. The boys would have an opportunity to earn a merit badge and have a fun weekend.