My wife visits another board site and a person posted the following:

"All eight boys in Webelos 2 den crossed over as Tenderfoot scouts".

What do you think the person means by that, and how and would you respond to it.

Curtis

I guess I would respond with a "are you sure?" kind of approach. Maybe the person was confusing the Arrow of Light with the Tenderfoot rank. Maybe the troop did some work with the den and has worked it out so they can come in already having earned the "scout" rank. I can't comment on the legality of that or anything else they may have done, but many units don't seem overly concerned with some of the rules. I would be interested in hearing the poop if something of that nature did occur, please keep us posted.

I'd say, "Super" all 8!!!! Get them to summer camp this summer. I wouldn't be for correcting someone's little error in terminology. Tenderfoot for the rest of the world is the equivalent of beginner. They surely didn't crossover and get promoted the first weekend, so why sweat it? Encourage them to get to camp this summer would be what I would stress.

It's a common mistake. Tenderfoot has been commonly confused as the first scout rank! A lot of people tend to forget the Scout badge.

"how and would you respond to it."

I would say something along the line, "Congratulations, Webelos 2s. I'm impressed with the energy and the enthusiasms of the eight. Tenderfoot is a great rank to go after, but don't forget the Scout rank and all the fun of starting out your scouting trail like your first summer camp!"

It probably means that someone was connected with Scouting prior to 1972. The Scout rank was added then. Prior to that, Tenderfoot was the joining rank and Webelos Scouts could cross over as Tenderfoot Scouts as they had completed all the Tenderfoot requirements.

OneHour, some commonly make the mistake of thinking that Tenderfoot is NOT the first Boy Scout rank that can be earned. It is. The "Scout" badge is not a rank. Try filling our an advancement report for a boy that earns the Scout badge.

Actually a Webelos that has earned the AOL they have done everything for the scout rank all they have to do bascially is turn in the application. The other requirements are the same for the AOL. With a good Webelos den that camps etc. the boys should be able to earn tenderfoot right away. We had two new Webelos come in and we just happend to be going camping in two weeks. They had Scout the first meeting and worked on the tenderfoot physical reguirements that night too! Went to camp out and next month had tenure for physical requirements and showed inprovement. But to come in and be a tenderfoot right off I don't see how.

A well-trained Webelos is only the 30-day fitness requirements and a campout away from Tenderfoot. Six of my 8 Webelos who crossed over March 1 are already Tenderfoot. The other two missed the campout and are short the two or three camping and cooking requirements.

It shouldn't be a big deal. AoL recipients coming into the troop should receive their Scout badge the first or second troop meeting. They should have the opportunity to earn Tenderfoot within their second month. For one, just crossing over from Cubs boy and their parents have the expectation that advancement is a big part of the program. We need to strike while the iron is hot. Secondly, it gets the guys off to a good start towards First Class First Year. Even though Scout and Tenderfoot aren't too tough, earning two ranks in 10 months sure sounds easier than four in 12.

2CD - I have the same philosophy. The first two months of troop meetings and activities are centered around Tenderfoot and some 2nd class requirements. We just had our "Tenderfoot Weekend Campout" this past weekend. The older scouts teach and review the skills to the new ones. Most of them are now only the the fitness requirement away from Tenderfoot. We have another campout in 4 weeks that will allow us to tie up any loose ends.

I have a different take.

In Cub Scouts, a boy is referred to by the rank he is working toward. A "Bear Cub Scout" is actually a Wolf Scout rank (usually) who is working toward the Bear Rank.

If this was an active Cub Leader who has no experience in Boy Scouts, he or she may have simply applied the same thinking to Boy Scout ranks.

Whatever the reason, my response would echo Trail Pounders'. "Fantastic" and "make sure they go to summer camp" are the best responses I could come up with. If the same comment persists, a freindly lesson in this one difference between the two programs might be helpful.

Mark

This statement may actually have been correct. I know of one troop that until very recently (last couple of years) gave all new scouts who had earned the AOL their Tenderfoot automatically. Why they did this no one really knows. It is just the way they did things.

It is possible there are other troops still doing this.

Hopefully, if this is the case, someone can be shown the light and brought up to speed on how things are supposed to work in the 21st century.

" Try filling our an advancement report for a boy that earns the Scout badge."

Does the paper burst into flames?

I believe that we file advancement reports for Scout. I called the Council registration office to check on a Scout's records and was given his date of registration, date for Scout, date for T-foot, and the dates of his merit badges.

Our council considers the Scout badge to be "restricted" and will not sell them without a properly completed and executed advancement form. The rationale is that the badge has requirements that must be met, as for rank badges and merit badges, and thus an advancement form is required.

Scout is considered a rank in the troop and at council (here, that is). The badge is a restricted item that requires an advancement form.

Those boys who bridge using the new Webelos book will have met many of the Tenderfoot requirements. Many using the now old book will too. I think it's an easy mistake to make and wouldn't worry about it.(This message has been edited by Laurie)