Me again... I'm considering Oh the joy!

Notes to self.

I am a Scout & a Scouter. (No comments re age, please! & if Eagle Scouts are forever so are Star Scouts.) In Scouting & life I hang my hat on character development, citizenship, and physical fitness. It my personal goal to foster the program if that's one scout or one unit at a time so be it

I value the methods of Scouting for their usefulness in "delivering the promise" of scouting.

I am personally commited to being properly uniformed, but everyone really can't afford to jump in head to toe. (Yeah I wear Official Socks.) When asked why I wear the whole thing I refer to my unit, position & training patches & relate them to the boys uniforms.

Our kids pay $35. per season to play sports - our troop charges $35 a year for reg., Boys Life, insurance, QU strip, troop neckerchief & first World Crest. (Camping runs 5 to 20 per month- Avg really is @10.) Our Pack, Troop & Crew all contribute to our uniform closet, but we quietly let it be known that the loan of the uniform is to ease the pain not provide the uniform. Most boys stick with us & those who leave are reminded to return the experienced uniform. I can't remember anyone borrowing a second (larger) uniform, butb I can pass on the satisfaction of the boys take pride in contributing a second uniform when they keep on growing.

Uniforms really can encourage advancement-- peer pressure isn't always our enemy!

Did someone recently metion taking the handbook into the pool? I've kept my pocket advancement cards from the 60's & 70's (and yes, one of them needed to drip dry after a canoeing trip.) I didn't always have my handbook when working on requirements, I shared one w/ my brother, and I'm not sure that everyone in the old troop even shared one, but I (and my leaders!) did a good job of tracking advancement using those pocket cards. Several leaders in my district who "require" handbooks thought the cards were "lost & gone forever" until I passed them around along w/ instant recognition kits at a roundtable last year. Yeah I also mentioned Individual record sheets, (wall) posters, & "computer programs". Then I had a talk w/ our training chair!

I'm going to resist the temptation to continue to pick off the methods one-by-one but I invite any comments as to which methods really work? (Especially since they vary by program.)

Okay I'll bite I haven't seen the pocket cards since the 70's were can I get them??

As far as the uniform, Yes every meeting I or the other leaders of our troop go to we are in full uniform. Leading by example is pretty easy to do.

Try supply division, or your local scout shop or council office for those cards. I know I received cards with all my advancements, and most of my merit badges (time period 1995-2001). They are still available last I knew.

I can't locate them in the on-line catalog, but ask around next time you are at the scout shop and they will probably be able to hook you up.

I believe they refer to these as "pocket certificates".(This message has been edited by Proud Eagle)

Our Council Service Center gives the pocket certificiates for rank when you turn in an advancement report. For merit badges and Webelos activity pins, you buy them in packs of 100.

BSA has nothing better to do with their money so they keep changing the design of the cards. My son's been a Boy Scout for two years and has three different designs of merit badge cards.

Our Council Service Center gives the pocket certificiates for rank when you turn in an advancement report. For merit badges and Webelos activity pins, you buy them in packs of 100.

BSA has nothing better to do with their money so they keep changing the design of the cards. My son's been a Boy Scout for two years and has three different designs of merit badge cards.

I'll be back at the Scout Shop this afternoon & check on an item # for the cards.

When I started this thread I was hoping others might add what they think are most useful methods.

Bob

BS Advancement records larger than I remember but with full descriptions of requirements.

Be a First Class Scout" #33482B $.20

Upward to Eagle #33430A $.19

Have agood one.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I always liked using the cards. Keeping track of what Req. was signed where wasn't fun. But not carrying a card on a hike was easier.

I've mentioned these cards at commitee meetings for the last 5 yrs and people acted like they didn't exist anymore.

As far as uniform exchange, we have a few on stock, but the troop is very young compared to others. But we do try to lead by example.

Peer Pressure works sometimes, but sometimes it creates hard feelings, that another boys advancement was premature.

The best way to keep your uniform bank work is buy and sell the uniforms. $5 for a shirt or pair of pants. we buy and sell at the same price. Folks always remember to turn in their old items. It also takes away the problem of choosing who needs a free uniform most.