Our Troopmaster died - anyone have a campfire memorial program?

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. My sympathies to his family and friends.

Consider having everyone bring a piece of fire wood to the circle (or have a supply on hand. As each person relates a positive memory of the man have them add thier wood to the fire. After you have gone around the cirle, point out how the fire has grown larger brighter and warmer through the memories of him. remind those in the circle that this is the gift your scoutmaster has left with each of them. Memories that will burn bright for a lifetime. Images that will warm them. Have a moment of silence then sing Scout Vespers and dismiss, and let the fire burn-out on its own or extinguish after everyone has left.

I didn't know the S/W has been around that long. What hardware did it run on so long ago?

Seriously, we lost a wonderful Scouter in our council last week. She was serving as Scoutmaster and had been for about five years. I'd use the event as a teaching moment for the boys.

BW, a very nice and touching ceremony. One thing to consider is if the SM had a son in the troop. If not, I would not change a thing. If so, I consult with his mother or another adult close to the child and make sure they are aware of your plans.

Thanks guys. I really like Bob White's idea. Yes acco40 his youngest boy is a life scout - we borrowed his fathers chair with his mothers blessing - we are trying to make sure we are sensative his his feelings and giving each boy the opportunity to express their feelings and memories in a "private" (troop)ceremony. The boys really were still in shock at the funeral service to be able to really deal with their feelings. It's going to be tough - but I think it will begin the healing process. Again thanks for the thoughts

I like BW's idea, also. I would only add that a portion of the ashes be saved to add to the next campfire. I always liked that ritual that embraces the idea that scouting and the campfire that is central to its values continues on long beyond any one of us. We lost a relatively young SM in our council last week. He was a staffer on JLTC again this year. Last night was the visitation. Although I did not know him as well as I may have liked, we shared the experience of being an adult staff member. He loved to teach knots and ropework. There is a knot that he wanted me to teach him. He watched me tie this complicated multi-strand knot. That opportunity slipped past both of us - too bad.

The youth can take it hard. Coming to grips with death is an important part of growing up. Each boy will deal with it differently. Several scouts were at the visitation last night. I was glad that I was able to talk with them and offer support, kind words and a couple of laughs. Consider the services of a grief counselor. A scoutmaster is a terribly significant person in the life of a boy.

Scoutman_73

Tell us his first name and troop number and I'll place a log on our campfire this weekend in his memory. Pass on to your troop Condolences from the Scouts and Leaders of Troop 21, Juneau Alaska.

YIS

Phil

Dear Scouter;

First let me start by saying that I'm sorry for your loss. If your scoutmaster had a calling for the outdoors that I do then the only fitting ceromony is a camp fire. The beast way to come up with a good one is to research the native indians of your area and contact them and ask for their aid in this area. I have never heard of any tribe willing to look the other way in this matter. Most will help to adapt your program to fit the needs you are looking for. Just remember that with death our spirits are reborned through the fire and after every fire brings new life to where once one was lost.