Bryan On Scouting and Uniforms

White crew neck T-shirt

Necker ($2.00 to make).

Blue jeans

belt.

With that being applied equally with the boys, they will look as much like scouts as the do with just a tan shirt with patches.

• Upvote 1

White crew neck T-shirt

Necker ($2.00 to make).

Blue jeans

belt.

With that being applied equally with the boys, they will look as much like scouts as the do with just a tan shirt with patches.

I don't think so. The Girls Scouts, dressed basically the same as described above, follow the tan shirt Boy Scouts in the 4th of July parade every year. The girls look like a rag tag unorganized group thrown together overnight for the event. I've noticed that even todays movies and TV shows dress the Girls Scout characters in the old traditional green skirt uniforms. I expect because the old style uniform identifies them as Girls Scouts more than the home made looking t-shirts. Maybe that is why the girls want to join the BSA.

I proudly wore my dads early 1940s Boy Scout shirt in the 1970s. Other than the cotton material, it pretty much look the same.  

Barry

At least they  are all "uniform".  This hodge-podge of gym shorts, pajama bottoms, blue jeans, every kind of hat imaginable, isn't very uniform even with a tan shirt.  The boys are most often taught that the shirt is enough so it gets wadded up in the backpack and dragged out flags untucked only to be jammed back in the school bag after closing flags.  There is zero pride in that process no matter how much lipstick one decides is enough for the pig.