Activity requirement for advancement..

Let me add my welcome as well, Billr. As usual lots of good advice from the usual knowledgeable participants. I'll just add my two cents.

I share your idea that scouting is more than just advancement. I would be inclined to have a conference with the scout and his parents and explain the total picture of scouting and how you as scoutmaster deliver scouting to the troop you serve. I would let them know they are welcome to participate and as long as the prespective scout meets the requirements for advancement, including the scout spirit, participation, service projects and leadership requirements there is no reason the scout could not reach the goal of Eagle.

However, I would be clear that if all the scout is interested in is advancement, he may want to reconsider membership, because without the level of participation you expect to meet all of the advancement criteria, it is not likely he would complete all the requirements for Eagle.

As an aside, we recently had a scout earn his Eagle Rank after joining the troop when he was in 8th grade. However, he was very active. Went to summer camp every summer, participated in most troop meetings and campouts, was elected and served as SPL last year. Scouting was a big part of his life, as he did not partipate in Varsity sports and devoted much of his free time to scouting and the troop. He is now a staff member at summer camp.

Good luck,

SA