Committee Member

I'm a committee member of a long established troop who has a chairman who might not be as productive as the committee would like. This chairman started the troop 15 years ago and no longer has a child or vested interest in the troop except he enjoys the position. He is the treasurer and chair. He usually is resistant to new ideas and is hard to approach. Any time we want a committe meeting, which he is suppose to schedule he puts it off. It has been 10 months since the last one and I had to force that one.I think I have forced another one for next week with the request we get a set date for the rest of the year for more. The finiacials are always brief and generic. Some of us would like more details of the spending and earnings of the troop. Our Scout master whos position would usually keep him in check also has been there a long time and his interest is fading. So they do not work as a team for the troop. Both people are good folks with the kids in mind. What are our options? Can we move him to another position? Are we stuck with him?

Welcome.

I assume a number of other parents are in agreement (EIKY - there I go again).

Both the CC and SM serve at the pleasure of the CO. You could take your concerns, especially if shared by a number of other parents, to the COR to effectuate a possible change, although that has a potential for getting ugly (if the CC refuses) or being ineffective (if the CO doesn't really care).

In my opinion, it sounds like the guy is 'not into it' anymore and may actualy welcome someone else taking over. I think you (and others) could approach him in a kind manner and offer/suggest/cajole him into 'retirement'. In doing so, show him the level of respect he has earned by serving your unit for 15 years. Even if he declines, you have planted the seed for another run at him as time passes. Maybe suggest to him that, with all of his years of wisdom and experience, it would be in the best long-term interest of the troop to have a co-chair, someone that he can 'groom' to eventually take his place. Of course, the 'protege' will be selected as someone who can diplomatically maneuver the troop to a better place.

He really should not be both the treasurer and the chair. As a committee member, offer a motion to have a Treasurer appointed (best case, make sure you have the votes to carry this). Once you begin to strip him of some of his 'stuff', you may find he doesn't want any more 'hassles' and look for an out.

Good luck.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I think you might do well to seek out the Unit Commissioner who serves your unit and have a chat with him.

While the advise offered by SemperParatus is sound, there is a chance that the unit could end up with lots of people getting hurt and maybe the unit being split or pulled apart. It does sound as if there are a lot of things going on that are not by the book and do need to be addressed. I kinda think I would talk to the Unit Commissioner if you have one? I think this UC is in need of a prod!! If there isn't one or if he or she is too close to the unit, try the Assistant District Commissioner Boy Scouts or the District Commissioner. One of these fine people might be able to do something without the end result being conflict within the unit. They might want to involve the DE, who could have a chat with the COR or the head of the CO.

Forcing people that you could end up having to work with for the next 15 years is not such a good idea. The District guys are there to help, they are used to dealing with situations like this. Let them try and work their magic, if they fail then maybe you will have to voice your complaints.

As for you moving him. It is worth remembering that you are talking about the two guys who were and are selected by the Chartering Organization. You and the other Committee members, were selected by the CO along with the approval of the Committee Chair. It could very well be that if this is not handled with kid gloves you could be the one that is moved.

Reading between the lines - Which is never a good idea, as I normally get things wrong!! It would seem that your CO, is not very active with the unit and the same could be said about the COR. If this is the case, the Chairman could be looking at the Troop as being His. He may have got away with it being his troop for such a long time that trying to change things now, would end up with him "Taking his ball and going home". If this happens the end result could be catastrophic.

If changes are to be made, I would go for taking very small pigeon steps. After all as you posted these are good folks.

Normally it is the Chairman who keeps the SM in line. - At the end of the day the Committee Chair. Is the guy with the real power in the troop. The SM and the Leaders deliver the program to the youth, under the helpful and supportive eyes of the Committee, who are led by the Committee Chair.

Eamonn

Hi,

Some thoughts....

Do you have trained ASMs (Assistant Scout Masters)?

Who attends Roundtable for your unit?

If there is no Un it Commissioner perhaps the District Executive, DE, District Commissioner or Roundtable Commissioner could bring up the "Troop Committee Challenge." Its a training / team building exeercise that might not have been around 15 yrs ago & certainly hasn't been used in your troop recently.

Has anyone one on the Committee beeen trained? There is even an orientation for IHs, Institutional Heads, the head of the Chartered organization, and the COR Charter Organization Rep.

I'm with Eamon on putting the Commissioner(s) into the loop. Their marching orders are to visit units and provide guidance / counsel -- they might not have THE answer to your specific problem / question but they should be able to offer reflective listening.

Experienced Scouters like your SM could possibly do more for Scouting by becoming a Commissioner (Now might not be the time to suggest that -- we don't have enough in our District so they tend to appear when trouble arises.)

Bob