sst3rd

I was not suggesting it was a contest. I was explaining that it was a process, and that membership does not take place until the end of the process.

One thing that you should know from this forum is that you cannot assume that what is "usual" for one unit is not usual for all. I have seen a number of scouts be nominated for the OA and never make it to an ordeal. I have seen some scouts not pass the ordeal.

It happens.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

CubsRgr8:

Congrats to your son....and, YES be very proud. I hope he completes the process. I know that becoming an Ordeal member of the Order gave my son the confidence to step up his leadership in his troop. Just a month after becoming an Arrowman, he decided to run for SPL. Although neither him or myself expected him to be elected to that position, he won by a landslide. I think your son will also be motivated to greater service and leadership as a result of going through the OA program.

Thanks everybody and Bob White, I appreciate you exlaining the difference between being an OA candidate and an actual member. I did check out the website Venture mentioned and didn't see anything there that would help an OA candidate gain enough of an understanding about OA to get enthusiastic about it. Any suggestions?

I have not known a candidate to the OA fail his ordeal. I have seen the lodge leadership work hard to make it a positive experience. The only candidates who become members are those who do not make it to the ordeal. The lodges try hard to not have this happen either.

The other way boys do not make it into the Order is by not having a unit election, if your Troop or Team is has not had an election in over a year encourage the PLC to schedule one soon.

Cubs Rgr,

I would hope your son listened to what the election team said when they began their work of supporting your Troop's election.

Here's what my local lodge posts on its portion of the Council website as the purpose of the Order:

~~~~~~

The purpose of the Order of the Arrow is fourfold:

To recognize those Scout campers who best exemplify the Scout Oath and Law in their daily lives.

To develop and maintain camping traditions and spirit.

To promote Scout camping

To crystallize the Scout habit of helpfulness into a life purpose of leadership in cheerful service to others

~~~~~

Here's a little history, again, publicly available:

~~~~~

Dr. E. Urner Goodman and Carroll A. Edson founded the Order of the Arrow (OA) in 1915 at Treasure Island Camp, of the Philadelphia Council, Boy Scouts of America. It became an offical progam experiment in 1922 and was approved as part of the Scouting program in 1934.

In 1948, the OA was recognized as the BSA's national brotherhood of honor campers and became an offical part of the national camping program of the Boy Scouts of America.

~~~~~~~~~

Beyond this, he'll have to wait for his Ordeal, just as those of us who are Arrowmen had to wait for our Ordeals.

I assure you the result will be worth it.

YIS John