A 'scholarship' that provides money to a scout to enable him to attend a week-long summer camp experience. Most councils have some variety of financial assistance that can be applied for, for this purpose. Troops/Packs may likewise establish a campership fund for its own unit members.

Semper had an excellent response. In most councils, there is money in a fund that is expressly devoted to helping Scouts get to go camping. Generally, the amount is not for the full fee for summer camp or day camp, but the Scout and his family are expected to contribute at least part.

The applications, from what I've seen, are handled confidentially and internally. There's no reason a boy shouldn't be able to attend a long term camp. If money is what's stopping someone, then they should apply for a campership.

Unc.

Most Coucils have a need-based two or three page application. (basically to determine if the finacial need is real or the family just wants to spend their money on sports camps and $300 game systems).

Many troops and some packs have smaller programs for members only again with an application system or letter. Our troop has a policy of seeing to it that money is not what keeps a boy from scouting...however, since we are working with Boy Scouts not Cubs there are strings (ropes) attached.

NO BOY IS GIVEN ANYTHING. HE WORKS FOR IT. Several of our committee members have made a financial committment with the troop that they will find jobs, grass cutting, fence/barn painting, cleaning the church parking lot...something the boy can do to make enough money to get to camp. This year I will be paying for a boy to go to camp and I have to find something meaningful for him to do...my sons painted the barn last year so I am having to really think about this...

This boys family is not poor but they are just getting by and he has 6 siblings so money for 'extras' is short.

The point is with our campership program we are hoping to help the boy pay his own way so he will not think he is beholden to anyone...he earned it (sort of)

but check with the local Council...many also have programs to provide partial uniforms to scouts in need...