...maybe the reason for the scoutmaster saying one thing and doing another is that he does not want to look bad.

I believe that this is his driving motivation.  I agree that the ASMs need to express their support for the patrol method especially when failures occur.  They are to be expected, and they are not a reflection of his leadership.  I think he feels that everyone will have more fun when things always go according to his plan, but I think they will have much more fun if things fail going by the scouts' plans.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Print this out and bring this to the next Troop Committee meeting to foster discussion and reflection:   http://scoutmastercg.com/ladder-of-youth-leadership-infographic/   Our Troop was a 4, we're

Yah, @@ASMInVirginia, welcome to da forums, eh?  Hope that you're otherwise enjoyin' the Holiday down in the Commonwealth.   I agree with your Scoutmaster on da three points above.   Patrols should

One of the problems with the adults getting in and messing with things it means they get to wallow in the glory when it works and they get the heat when it doesn't.  These are the things the boys are

One of the problems with the adults getting in and messing with things it means they get to wallow in the glory when it works and they get the heat when it doesn't.  These are the things the boys are supposed to be learning, not the adults.

Every time my boys ask if they can do a certain activity and it is not prohibited by BSA, I automatically say "YES".  At least they are planning on doing something.  So they plan this all out and have a great time, the boy who made the suggestion is a hero.  Next time a new idea comes along it might fall flat on its face.  Then the poor kid that suggested it is the villain, but he has learned a valuable lesson, too.  No where in this formula is there any room for adult intervention and win or lose the adult will always look good.

I learned a long time ago that when things go South, one doesn't want to be caught holding the bag.  So it's either going to be either the SM or Little Johnny who's going to take the heat for the ballroom dancing lessons that none of the boys wanted to go to.  I vote for Little Johnny.  :)

• Upvote 2

Print this out and bring this to the next Troop Committee meeting to foster discussion and reflection:

http://scoutmastercg.com/ladder-of-youth-leadership-infographic/

Our Troop was a 4, we're now a 3 and we're moving to a 2.  Sounds like your Troop is a 6 moving toward a 7.

I think that your Scoutmaster means well.  He probably is very good at managing adults.  He also sees the Troop's sucess as being a well-oiled machine and feels that he will be judged upon the Troop's success.  The Troop's vision needs to change.  The vision needs to define success as TEACHING THE BOYS TO LEAD.  Boys don't learn through watching, boys don't learn by being told what to do - they learn by DOING.  It's messy, its disorganized but it works.

Part of our Troop culture is that the SMs and the ASMs encourage each other to be more "boy-led."  Make that part of yours.  Doing that acknowledges that we all have tendencies to want to take things over and that we need encouragement to stay on the boy-led trail.

Wow that is an awesome infographic.  Thank you for sharing.  If the OP didn't state that his scoutmaster was only doing the job for over a year now, I would have thought that I am in the same troop as him.

My troop is mostly a 6.  However, occasionally the adult leader forgets to find a puppet scout to be "in charge" so then we are a 7.

They actually need to add a 9 to that graphic.  The scoutmaster schedules an event, and then requires everyone to be there by threatening to not advance them in rank if they don't show up.  Oh also this scoutmaster scheduled event happens to also be on the same date that your scouts are already planning a trip.

Edited by Tatung42
  • Upvote 1