Problematic Event Involvement

My son's troop recently volunteered to help with a fundraiser for a group that billed itself as a wildlife organization. When I viewed some of the pictures that were taken at the event, I was somewhat taken aback by one of the tables that a boy was assigned to "work": it featured a rifle and two handguns lying out (unsecured) on a table, with a sign that stated words to the effect of "We don't call 911". As a longtime recreational shooter myself, I understand the strong connection between hunters and conservation efforts. However, this kind of "political" display not only seemed to go beyond the pale, it also seems to run contrary to the Boy Scout law, including "A Scout is Obedient" and "A Scout is Courteous". What is the prevailing wisdom regarding involvement with this sort of event? 

Talk to your son's Scoutmaster whenever you have concerns. Next speak to the activity coordinator for any event that you question and the adults who were "working" that event. The next troop committee meeting may be best venue for those discussions. Anyway that is where I would start.

Photos do not necessarily tell the whole story, but sometimes they do. A Cub Scout hike through a California nudist beach awhile back comes to mind.

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1

Why were your Scouts fundraising for another organization to begin with? Collecting food for a local shelter or food pantry, cool. doing a service project for a local organization- helping plant trees, building a handicapped access ramp, cleaning up alongside a road, clearing trails, etc. are all good works. Fundraising for another organization, with a clearly political agenda is a HUGE red flag.

• Upvote 1

Why were your Scouts fundraising for another organization to begin with? Collecting food for a local shelter or food pantry, cool. doing a service project for a local organization- helping plant trees, building a handicapped access ramp, cleaning up alongside a road, clearing trails, etc. are all good works. Fundraising for another organization, with a clearly political agenda is a HUGE red flag.

Yup!

And how well-trained are these adult leaders? If I showed up with my guys and saw any firearms we'd be back in the cars and headed home ASAP.

Sounds like the District Executive needs to pay this unit a visit.

The DE and SE of the Council should be consulted.  There are rules about Scouts (as Scouts, in uniform) fundraising for another , not related to Scouting, organization.  Here is some of the information.  

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/financeimpact/pdf/CFD-Manuals/Policies_and_Procedures.pdf 

I know there has been backlash about uniformed Scouts ringing bells for the Salvation Army, worthy tho they be.

• Upvote 1