While things weren't working I had a long tale about troop 164. A unit that I helped get off the ground a few years back and how they had struggled. The first Scoutmaster died and then we managed to get a "Temp". The "Temp" just signed up for Wood Badge and the troop just won the First Aid meet. But I'm too lazy to rewrite it.

Our Man Of Steele makes a good point that most of our good news is not about the big things it is in fact about many small things which might only make one person feel good. Not that there is anything bad about the big things.

At time I do wish that we did a better job of letting everyone know about the good things that we do.As a District we are trying to make this happen.

Eamonn

Not that all is perfect in Camelot , BUT alot of things are going great!

Where to begin?

The troop's recruiting is twice what we expected, we have 4 scouts going to National Jamboree (3 particpants, 1 on staff). Our council membership had a 16% increase (mostly in Cub scouts). Our District is getting its own scout office with a scout shop, and we have the OK to hire an office manager and store manager. National is taking over our council scout shop as a national store. Even though United Way is down, thanks to great support from our families and excellent Council management our Scout Reservation is getting an all new waterfront, and a new shower house. We are also having cub resident camping for the first time. Our Council communications have improved tremendously in the last 6 months.

roundtable attendance is on the rise. We have already filled three troops and have a waiting list to go to Jamboree in 2005.

Fun, Fun, Fun!

Bob White

We are starting to get more leaders among the Scouts and I am getting more expendible (one of my goals). Our SPL was out of town this week, so he asked two of our older Scouts (one 13, one 14) to teach the guys in the troop about cold weather camping (we are going two weekends from now). Instead of just winging it, these two went online to get information. Then, they spent two hours preparing notes and dividing up the information so they could tag team teach it. When we got to the meeting, they split up the two patrols and each worked with one, then after 15 minutes, switched to the other.

I just sat back and checked in every 5-10 minutes. Things went well, the Scouts learned a lot, and two of our older Scouts realized that they are very capable of leading training sessions. Those two Scouts aren't even our top leader. We are starting to get some momentum in regards to getting things done without my having to do it. I enjoyed it quite a bit and hope it continues.

Okay, I live near a Junior high and I have friends that are teachers in the schools. They talk about kids who are so misguided and get into trouble. Fights after school, dressing in poor taste, parents who are not home to guide these trouble kids. Kids not having anything to do or to look forward to. So they get into trouble.

Then I see the Scout kids. The good news is that they belong to the best gang ever! Instead of hanging out behind the school with a spray can and playing in the dumpster (because they don't have anything better to do and may have parents who don't even care), the Scouts are hiking 50 miles in the backcountry, cleaning up a local park, doing a flag ceremony for a city council, learning how to lead and follow in all the right ways, or even just "hanging out" with their fellow troop and patrol members weekly playing "capture the flag!"

And the even better news I have is that I have three boys who are all still in scouting of their own free will. (Okay maybe I "guided" them that way in the beginning!) They feel strong enough in their own character to be able to wear their uniform infront of their friends at school. One of my sons was teased terribly by a classmate when he was a Webelos. But instead of cowaring, my son encouraged him to come with him to a den meeting one time and this kid has now been in scouting for four years!

And another piece of good news! My kids as well as all the other Scout kids are being exposed to Adults who care for life. Who are great role models for our kids' future!

Thank you to all the Leaders either directly or indirectly who have helped God's children grow into better people! And as a single Mom, I couldn't have reinforced my values and moralities better than for my kids see others living by the same upright values.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I suppose I'll have to change my username since I'm now "OneCubOneScoutDad." Number one son crossed over and attended his first troop meeting this week. I'll have to brag that he finished Webelos with his Arrow of Light and all 20 activity pins.

Our Pack graduated 14 Webelos, all with their AoL. All the boys who joined our troop received their Scout badge the first night and are only a few requirements (tenure and a campout) away from Tenderfoot. At the troop meeting the SM introduced the new Scouts and noted that if the older Scouts didn't get it in gear that the would soon be eating the new guys' dust. I'm not sure who was more proud, the boys or me.

I've signed on as an ASM, although I made it clear that my #1 responsibility will be as Cub Master in the pack. We've got another two years before number two son crosses over.