NASA - Cub Scout Camp-Ins

Checking if anyone has done the NASA camp-in's? 

We got a Bears/Webelos camp-in this weekend, and wondering if anyone has some tips and info on things we can/cannot take.

They're website is pretty specific on what we can bring, just checking if they are as strict as the FAQs sound.

Thanks in advance.

JO

We have done it twice.  The boys really enjoy it.  IMHO, the program is meh, but the boys enjoy it and you get to see the Saturn V which is ALWAYS worth it.  Plan to stay the morning after to do the tour of the rockets and mission control.

We ate as a group prior to check in.  The floor is VERY hard, the coffee runs all night :-)  no cots allowed,  no air mattresses but the self inflating pads are ok.

What specifically are you worried about bringing?

We have done it twice.  The boys really enjoy it.  IMHO, the program is meh, but the boys enjoy it and you get to see the Saturn V which is ALWAYS worth it.  Plan to stay the morning after to do the tour of the rockets and mission control.

We ate as a group prior to check in.  The floor is VERY hard, the coffee runs all night :-)  no cots allowed,  no air mattresses but the self inflating pads are ok.

What specifically are you worried about bringing?

Thanks MM!

You answered my question perfectly. 

I was thinking about getting one of those egg crate things, but the self inflating sounds like a better idea.

Might run into Academy to see if they have any.  Didn't expect to sleep much.

We did the Kennedy Space Center one two years ago.  Likely similar although KSC is not NASA so it could very well likely be different too....

It was good, and many of our boys rank it as one of the best events we have done.... many want to go back.... in fact my son said it was his #1 pick of things he was hoping to do again

Checking if anyone has done the NASA camp-in's? 

We got a Bears/Webelos camp-in this weekend, and wondering if anyone has some tips and info on things we can/cannot take.

They're website is pretty specific on what we can bring, just checking if they are as strict as the FAQs sound.

Thanks in advance.

JO

We've done the one in Houston. Good program. Stay the following morning and do the site tour. You will need coffee, ear plugs and Zzzquil. Headphones work too. 

Thanks MM!

You answered my question perfectly. 

I was thinking about getting one of those egg crate things, but the self inflating sounds like a better idea.

Might run into Academy to see if they have any.  Didn't expect to sleep much.

You're welcome.  We got some nice ones at Costco, but you never know what they will have and when.

I guess you got your answer.  We're so far back in the woods where we are, we tend to have more programs that use tents for camping than just a pad on a cement floor.   :)

We have both opportunities.  Cubs going to NASA or sleeping on the USS LExington is a truly eye opening experience for the boys.

I don't doubt that such experiences are great for the boys.  I've always assumed when the term camp is used it involves a tent and a campfire....... Sleeping in a building or a large ship isn't really camping.  My granddaddy never talked about his Navy experience on the USS whatever in a bunk as camping.  :)  And I don't think that the astronauts on the moon were up there camping, but I guess I could possibly make a better case for camping for those guys.  

Camping is when you're sleeping out under the stars on a crisp fall night close enough to the fire to toss in a log or two without getting up.... Heaven on earth!  No air mattress needed.

I don't doubt that such experiences are great for the boys.  I've always assumed when the term camp is used it involves a tent and a campfire....... Sleeping in a building or a large ship isn't really camping.  My granddaddy never talked about his Navy experience on the USS whatever in a bunk as camping.   :)  And I don't think that the astronauts on the moon were up there camping, but I guess I could possibly make a better case for camping for those guys.  

Camping is when you're sleeping out under the stars on a crisp fall night close enough to the fire to toss in a log or two without getting up.... Heaven on earth!  No air mattress needed.

We typically call it an overnighter vs. camping as well.  I am sure they would frown upon us having a campfire in the space center but in Texas, a majority of time we are in a fire ban so we have to think warm thoughts :-) 

That's the nice thing about being up Nort', cool evening around the fire are the most precious times to unwind there is.  If you fall asleep at the fire, someone tosses a blanket over you and leaves you there.  

• Upvote 1