While searching for B.P. quote made at World by a Speaker found this

Was trying to possibly find the origin of the quote from the World Jamboree speech noted in another thread.  Found this, and it amused me, especially since it was on these boards I first saw the expression and its acronym.

From the epilogue of B.P.'s Outlook, page 187:  B.P. is discussing his stepping back from the the worldwide movement in 1940, not long before his death; and he compared it to his resigning his cavalry commission.  

It has been very much the same with the Scout Movement.  After being in it up the neck for over thirty years, I went for three months holiday to Kenya.  There I developed a tired heart, and a radiumed eye, under a doctor whose orders were "You must stay put here".  His orders were further enforced by Hitler and his war, and 'she who must be obeyed' added her voice to the decision.

Of course, the acronym SWMBO has been seen numerous times on these threads.  Did not realize it was something B.P. had said though.

• Upvote 2

As you know I use it a lot.

I never knew that BP used anything like it.

I started using it after reading the books and later watching the BBC TV series Rumpole of the Bailey, by John Mortimer.

Rumpole, is a crusty old British barrister.

My little sister is also a barrister.

I have a wonderful story about her getting an evidence tape caught in her home VCR (Pre DVD days)

She was appearing in the High Court in Oxford 

She went to VCR repair shop to get the tape free, which took longer then she thought it would.

Oxford is a pedestrian friendly town.

She was seen running through the town, at full sprint with tape, deck in hand dressed in her wig and gown.

She was on time and that day she was appearing for the Crown and she won.

Eamonn.