In the discussions about the World Jamboree, the National BSA Jamboree,  attending Philmont/Northern Tier/the Summit/Seabase,  NOAC,  the local Camporee,  even merely JOINING Scouting,  both on this site and in Bryan's Blog,  I am impressed by the common comment/concern/complaint about the COST. 

If you go to Hawaii for a vacation, or even around the corner to buy a gallon of milk, there is a financial cost.  We choose to spend those hard earned shekels , and exchange our work, whatever it may be, for those Dollars/Euros/Pounds for that privilege.  Somehow, even Don Trump has made such  exchanges and decisions . 

The benefits and experiences of Scouting that we work to provide our children, no matter what their age,  will be at the expense of our time and eventually our money.     I like the idea of spending what small amount I have at my disposal (and sometimes it seems that is all I am doing with it, disposing of it) on such things.   The time with my family and friends becomes more valuable the older I get. I wish I had the money available to attend the World Jamboree and shake  the hand of a Scout I might never see again, but had the opportunity to wish them well. 

I am now off the  County Fair,  where I will "staff" the Rabbit Barn, rubbing shoulders with folks who like rabbits (despite my allergies, I like rabbits) and enjoying the look on the faces of the kids and parents as they meet a REAL animal , sometimes for the first time close up and personal.  Believe it or not, I don't think I will ever tire of hearing folks say "oh, it's so soft!"  and "oh, it's so cute!"  when they touch a Mini Rex.  Yes, raising rabbits cost .  We could've saved and spent that somewhere else (retire the mortgage earlier?) , but that's where ScoutSon worked in 4H, learned about life and genetics,  and where we metaphorically and fiscally chose to put our treasure.  See Mathew 6:21 

Now, YOU get out to YOUR County Fair!

Good Scouting to you!

Edited by SSScout
  • Upvote 1

Any hobby or activity costs something.  Time, money, effort.  It also means you forgo other opportunities to spend your time, money and effort on other choices.  Scouting has a reputation for being low cost.  In my dealings with scouting, keeping costs low has always been considered. 

But scouting also has opportunities for participants to experience more challenging or distant events that do cost substantial amounts of time, money and effort.  Jamborees and High Adventure Bases are two that come immediately to mind.  Not every scout can afford the cost in time, money or effort to attend these events.  And that's Ok.  Part of what makes these events special is the high cost in time, money and effort.

One of my sons participated in travel sports with paid coaches.  Expensive in time, money and effort.  Costs were high to the player and family.  It was an activity that we felt was worthwhile.  The other son participated more heavily in scouting attending all three national HA bases.  Both sons were involved in fund raising to allow them to participate in these activities.  Both were unable to attend other events as a result. 

Those involved in planning the events for scouting seemed to be much more cost conscience than those involved in the travels sports.  Probably because those involved in the sports knew up front the costs were going to be high and voluntarily signed up to be in the specific  program. I think scouting would be well served to help incoming families more aware of the potential costs. 

@@SSScout is it cost versus value.

High adventure bases are usually pricey but the value is usually there. Some HA bases are a bit steep and you could likely do better building your own package through a reputable outfitter.

Jambo and World Jambo are just way too expensive for what amounts to a giant coffee klatsch. Over $5500 for me and my scout to go to Jambo? Even if I staff it I have to pay? There's little value there.

Local camporee is hit or miss but our costs are low, so even if the value is low the boys still get to camp and cook.

NOAC I don't see value in unless you are REALLY in to OA.

• Upvote 1

Our 6 day backpacking trek in beautiful New Hampshire - total cost to scouts is $30 plus they have to provide their own food.  The $25 goes to cover gas for the adults driving (600 miles of gas is expensive) and $5 goes to cover the cost of detailed maps.  As they say in the commercials, waking up on a clear morning with a view from a mountain top -- priceless.

Most of our backpacking treks don't cost anything (well, except the cost to acquire the right gear).  On the flip side, we've done weekend canoe trips that cost $75 per scout (not including food).  Our average weekend campout costs $25 ($10 for site rental, $14 for food and $1 for consumables like propane, paper towels, etc.).  We try to keep costs down to encourage participation.

On top of that, our boys had a bad experience at the last Jambo because we didn't send any leaders -- but at least they understand what it feel like when a troop is NOT  boy led.

• Upvote 1

Less than 2% of registered scouts ever attend Jambo.

I don't know what % of scouts in a given year go to an HA base. I suspect the number is small, but larger than Jambo. Maybe we should sum over 4 years to make the rates comparable?

Not every HA wonk should go to Jambo.

Not every Jambo wonk should go to an HA base.

Not every Arrowman should go to NOAC.

Some scouts and scouters with means should try to go to one of those things and represent their home troop/crew well. I've been generally pleased with the cheerfulness "bump" in the boys who did.

But, I have also seen seasoned scouters talk other scouters out of it. You all owe them a huge thanks.

For me, all I I know is that at Jambo I saw a minimum impact camping display and from that point forward, my backpack got lighter and my footprint smaller. Now, other boys in my troop and girls in my crew -- very few who attended Jambo or an H/A base -- imitate me with pride.

Was that worth Mamma slaving over a hot stove for us to sell hard candy for me to afford such exploits?

Let the land that was untrampled be the judge.

@@SSScout is it cost versus value.

High adventure bases are usually pricey but the value is usually there. Some HA bases are a bit steep and you could likely do better building your own package through a reputable outfitter.

Jambo and World Jambo are just way too expensive for what amounts to a giant coffee klatsch. Over $5500 for me and my scout to go to Jambo? Even if I staff it I have to pay? There's little value there.

Local camporee is hit or miss but our costs are low, so even if the value is low the boys still get to camp and cook.

NOAC I don't see value in unless you are REALLY in to OA.

I concur Bad Wolf....

I went to Philmont in '77 as a scout...mowed alot of yards to help pay for it, but the trek was worth every penny.   I've been trying to get back since, money is no object (just that dreaded "time" element that keeps me away).

Jambo?   Not for me.   That's alot of money to pay to camp too close to too many people.

NOAC:   Went in '79 as a scout.   It was cool, but I would not go again.

I think it all comes down to how you want to spend limited resources. Years ago, BK (before kids) I used to split season tickets for NHL hockey with some guys and went to 10 games a year. My boss told me he couldn't afford hockey tickets. He made 10 times what I made. What he meant was that hockey didn't interest him, and he would never pay the cost of a ticket. Sometimes we truly can't afford things. Other times, we make choices about what is important to us. 

When my son joined a troop, I told him that he would have the opportunity to go to two "big trips" during his scouting career. Those trips were completely up to him. He chose Sea Base and Jamboree. He earned half the money for both trips, and I kicked in the other half. Bad Wolf mentioned $5500 for two to go to Jamboree. Where we live, the cost was only about $1100 for one. My son loved both trips and still talks about both. For his last year as a youth, he decided that he really wanted to go to NOAC, He paid for it (I think our council must have had the lowest cost in the country. Total cost including transportation was $450 for youth) He loved it and would do it again. 

That being said, a lot of people don't have the means to do any "big trips". That's ok. I've had scouts that don't go to jambo, high adventure, or NOAC. I try to steer the PLC from filling the calendar with weekend trips that cost too much. Scouting is about memories. They can come from the big trips or from the weekend at the local state park.

• Upvote 1