Required positions: please clarify for me

Eamonn, you seem to be suggesting that only the parents of current pack members really have an interest in the pack and its success. If that is what you are suggesting, I disagree. "Family and neighborhood oriented" does not mean that parents whose sons have graduated no longer have something to offer. This is especially true if they are experienced leaders who are willing to stay on as committee members in order to give "younger" leaders the benefit of their experience... or perhaps just to help run some even with which they have had some success.

In fact, when I was a den leader and assistant cubmaster we welcomed any of these former den leaders or cubmasters to continue as committee members. Very few were interested. And I have to say that when my son went from pack to troop, I too decided that what little time I have to devote to Scouting (particularly as far as going to meetings at night), was going to be with the unit that my son is in at present. But for those who can be involved in both, what's wrong with that? And the Webelos-to-Scout transition process can only benefit from liaisons between units who are registered members of both.

And besides all that, when you say "family oriented"... well over time the leaders in the pack become sort of an "extended family," or develop an attachment to the pack, or however you wish to say it. There's no reason to boot them out of the family just because their son is no longer a member.

I wish I could get some of these guys to hang around, but most of them are more excited about becoming Boy Scouts than their sons are!

I would like to have some long-term volunteers in our pack. Our tradition is that leaders move up through the program with their son and leave when he crosses over. We only have one "community volunteer" who does not have a son in the pack.