EagleInKY - would you be willing to come up to Milwaukee and teach your course? Seriously, what a great topic! I am thinking about asking my church to charter a troop in 2005, when my Webelos den is ready to cross over. Three of my Webelos attend the church and the closest troops are either too big or meet on Wednesdays (confirmation night, which runs 6-9 grades). A course like yours would be invaluable to me right now.

sm41 - a little off-topic, but in light of the above, please post about how and why your troop came into being and any advice (pitfalls to avoid, recruiting, etc.) you care to share.

Bob White - can you provide the catalog number for the brochure you mentioned? Thanks.

Why the troop:

3 reasons:

1. One troop in my area already has 60 + boys, and they do not activily recruit. Also it is not Boy Run they way I would like. I tried to get into the troop and help but no dice.

2. The other troop in the area have two many clicks. You cant go camping unless invited, etc, etc, etc. It is also what I call a badge factory. The had an Eagle scout at 14 who did not know basic first aid. I know this because during a cross over ceramony last year I was discussing this with him.

3. Distance for the parents to drop and pick up there boys was too far.

Pitfalls.

The biggest one is getting a Charter orginazation that will actually help you. Equipment, and always money.

The SM needs to be fully trained, preferably wood badge also. (Going this summer to start). I have also went on my councils training staff. I learned a lot training others the craft of scouting.

Look at a lot of other troops to help you determine how you want to run yours. (Still in this process)

Recruiting. I have yet to send flyers out. I have been recruiting through scouts. My DE has been very good at this also. The boys crossing over have also been recruiting.

I recruited via my church, school, and Little League. I contacted the other pack 1 1/2 ago to let them know what I was planning on doing. I have gone to there den meetings and started to teach them things. Ready man and Outdoorsman. as webelos.

Talk to all the parents, and do not promise the Moon to the boys. Let them know what they do is largly there responsability.

Go to Round Tables and talk with other scout masters.

If you want to get together sometime, Let me know. I am not to far away from you. About 2 Hours to be exact.

I used to go to the bar Spys Demise. Don't know if it is still open though.

SM 41

YIS

" My CC will be at the first PLC to observe. (I will tape his mouth shut if he interupts)."

If I remember my books, the SM works for the CC so be careful. :-)

Since these are all new guys, I like the idea of rotating the PL position every month but don't do it by appointment. Give the Scouts the opportunity to elect their PL each month. They might find someone that they like early on and re-elect him time after time and there might be some that don't want the job.

I do like Bob White's idea (Satan is calling North Face to order a new parka) about how to fill out the patrols.

I think that someone else mentioned this but I can't find the reference. Before the SPL elections, maybe two weeks before, talk with the Scouts and their parents about the duties, responsibilities and commitment of the SPL. Possibly even give them a handout. Encourage any Scout who is thinking of running for SPL to discuss it with their parents. We have and information sheet about SPL that requires a parental signature to run for SPL. That started after we had an absentee SPL whose parents said, "We didn't think that he'd actually have to be at the meetings."

After the initial shakedown, don't swap SPLs or PLsjust because "someone else needs a turn." All leadership positions need time in office to learn the job and experience everything that it has to offer. My troop had a "traditon" of switching PLs whenever someone "Needed it to advance." The result was continual chaos. We've now made PL a year long position and now the PLs have a chance to hit their stride before getting run out.

" My CC will be at the first PLC to observe. (I will tape his mouth shut if he interupts."

An instructor I once had would put a role of duct tape out on his desk and leave it there. Finally someone asked what it was for. He said it was for anyone who spoke out of turn. Everyone was very polite.

SM41, I don't have much advice beyond what's been provided. Seems like it's all been very good and your on your way to a good start.

Just wish you luck and good fortune.

SA