I need your help. I'm chair of our Adult Leadership Recognition Night and every year I have a theme to base the evening in (such as "Putting the Outing in Scouting" or Scout History, or Scouting and the Native American Culture). This year, I'd like to do something Hawaiian style.

But not the typical party luau thing, I'd like to show us Northwesterners what and how Hawaiian culture has influenced scouting. (For instance, Ceremonies, songs, stories, special awards, etc.) In our area we use alot of the native american things. I'm sure Hawaii does something simuliar. (or South Pacific)

If anyone is from Hawaii or knows the "different" things they do with scouting, I'd greatly appreciate some insight. Even to direct me somewhere on the internet to which I have not found anything yet.

I've increase the numbers coming to our districts dinner because people know how much I put into the evening to make it fun and interesting, I"d like to do the same this year. ;)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Here's the website to Aloha Council:

www.boyscoutshawaii.org

There is a book called the "Hawaiiana" published and printed by Aloha Council.

It has Hawaiian History and Culture, chants, games, cooking methods, etc.

The book is sold at the Council Office. It's for Island Scouts working to earn the "Hawaiiana Medal".

It may help in your quest.

Matua

Shell;

What Matua said; we're in the same council. I'm on Oahu, where the Council service center is located. Send me a private message, and we can work out any details on how I can help you.

BTW, the Council Camp on Oahu, Camp Pupukea, has an excellent out-of-council camping program if your Troop (or another in your district) wants to make the hop across the ocean...

KS