Sit and Listen troops

My sons troop is a sit and listen troop. I am working on changing this, I am the ASM in charge of troop meetings, this is a new position for me and the troop. I am having trouble balancing the boy lead versus showing them on how to run a good fun meeting. The scouts in the troop have never been trained to do hands on meetings, and who should be doing the training, a older scout normally does the training or presentation instead of a instructor. I think that we (adult leaders) need to train (show, do) the leaders (boy) how to put on a good meeting, in the beginning, I feel that I should have a lot of involvement, but once they see and understand what a good meeting should be like, they will be able to produce a good program (the scouts that will be the next in the leadership position will have seen what a good meeting should be like and less hand on involvement by the adult leaders will be needed).

Bottom line, I am planning on going in and take the Bull by the horns, to get the meetings to be more hands on and boy run. MAKING the PLC create agendas, assigning instructors tasks for the meetings, and so on.

Should I push the changes or do I sit back and slowing try to get things changed, so as not to damage the boy lead concept that the troop already has?

All scouts in leadership positions have been through JLT, we have another one scheduled (I hope this month, it keeps getting pushed back).

Dan,

For it to happen, you're going to have to drive it. But be careful not to dismantle your boy-lead model. That is much more difficult to build. I would strive to make it happen THROUGH your boy leaders.

JLT would be a great place to kick-start the process. Integrate some training into the JLT model.

I'd love to hear more as it progresses. This is something I'm working on as well.

Dan, have they been to JLT (Junior Leader Taining... a week-long leadership course presented at the council level) or have they been through a Troop Lunior Leader Workshop (a one-day course put on within a troop), there is a huge difference.

My sugesstion would be two special campouts. One with the PLC where they learn program planning. A second one with the troop instructors to teach them effective teaching skills. Then bring the two together at PLCs to develop a monthly plan based on themes.

Using this plan you can effect the change within 60 days and the leaders and instructors will still be in the decision making process and prepared for their new roles.

Bob

The SPL, ASPLs, QM, and 1 instructor are staffers for JLTC. The other instructors have been to JLTC.

IMO the instructors do not need to be shown how to teach but given the opportunity to do it.

Currently the PLC is planning the big events such as when and what theme a campout will be, and an event for the meetings such as First Aid, Winter Survival but it is not be taken to the next level and have a written agenda for the meetings or campouts. Currently training is being done by older scouts who where handy to be asked to do it a day or 2 before the meeting. Which really upsets Instructors. My other goal is to have the scouts speak up and say, hey thats my job! And to be there to back them up. It is a culture thing, when you hear a 14 year old scout say thats the way we have all which done it!

I have made some headway by talking to the leaders about JLTC and comparing it to the troop and why they did what they did at JLTC.

I was hoping to start this now, elections are coming up in Feb. so I would really have to wait until the new SPL is elected to do the campout planning program. Do you think I could start this with the current SPL and guide him through setting up an agenda for the PLC, to create an agenda for a troop meeting?

My goals

First Agendas

Second POR utilized

Third Hands on activities at meetings

I have more! Which you will be hearing about if I can get these 2 done.