Every once in a while, I used to get thrown a soft ball -- meaning an easy question to answer. This one, from twocubdad and associate, isn't one of them:

"Is it necessary to have one person registered just to be treasurer? Or, if the committee chairman were willing to keep the books, have another registered adult member sign checks in addition to himself, and then bring copies of the bank statements and register to each monthly meeting, would that provide enough accountability? The reason this is asked is that the treasurer was not providing any records at all, and after several attempts to get information, the committee chairman with backing of the other leaders in the pack felt it necessary to start fresh with the accounting (new account, new signers, but not a new treasurer as treasurer only)."

The answer to the first question is that there is no BSA registered position for an individual called treasurer. Scoutnet, in 1999, introduced the ability for units to earmark a person within the BSA system as the treasurer. If you did into the policies, you'll only find committee member (who's job may be treasurer.)

Everything after the first question makes good sense to me and to most BSA recommendations when it comes to handling money. Having two check signers makes sense for units as well as councils. In fact, councils are supposed to have at least one volunteer sign every check and have a two-signer requirement. Often it is the Scout Executive and a key volunteer. Sometimes it is two volunteers and no professionals can sign a check. Depends on the council.

I think the books in a unti need to be open -- for the protection of the check signers as well as the unit. Theft does happen, but it is very rare. Accusations of theft are more common -- but when two people of different households, who make regular financial reports to the unit committee are accused, the accusations are quickly dismissed by the parents.

I'll give you an example:

Quite a few years ago, I had worked my way fairly closely to a cubmaster in a small town who had no use for "council." I went from "council" to being his "good guy," but not without a few bumps between him and I. In fact, the first time I showed up at his sign-up night, he tried to throw me out. I stayed.

Three years later, he had decided that giving me the applications and money the night of the sign up was a good thing -- saved him a trip to the office. He was very much a one-man show. I told him the dollar amount his unit needed to pay. He wrote a check from the pack account, signed it, and gave it to his wife (the treasurer) for a second signature. She signed it.

Outside in the parking lot, I asked the Cubmaster, "Are you and your wife the only check signers for the pack?" He said yes and started to get defensive.

I pointed out that this was a bad idea and he had my shirt by the throat before I could finish. He was bigger than me and I thought I had another one coming. (When you're 5'6" and Scotch, Irish, English and Erudite it's pretty common ;) )

He said, "I'm getting tired of people accusing me of stealing."

I knew he wasn't stealing from the unit any more than I would -- which is to say not at all. I told him that it's okay for his wife to be treasurer, but the accusations would stop if he got off the checking account and have someone else sign on as the second-signer. It would also help if they actually had committee meetings and they (not him) made financial reports.

Fortunately, he took the advice, but not the swing at me.

He got quiet and I told him I'd meet him at his house the next morning to pick up the applications. The guy actually cooked me pancakes when I got there.

I kind of miss him.

DS

The Man of Steele, as usual, provides some interesting and informative insights and anecdotes. In other threads about finances, before DS became a regular poster, there were various tales of woe about irregular, or at best, unaccountable, unit financial practices. Having two signature accounts, with people from different households on the signature card may be a pain the rear, but it is a very sound practice. Treasurers should make regular reports to the committee. These don't need to be very fancy, but requiring reports keeps the treasurer current with his or her duties. Fewer things slide.

As DS points out, theft is rare in scouting, but in my experience non-profits are much more susceptible to embezzlement than other types of organizations, and a few simple checks and balances remove temptation, or at least make theft more difficult. A scout is trustworthy, but we are all human. Every instance I have heard of or read about in the newspaper, where major theft at a non profit occurred, there was one person handling the finances by himself or herself, with no one else watching.

Glenn: one of the many benefits, IMO, is that only registered leaders may take training in our council. It is free of charge, is led by some awesome volunteers, and is material that I find useful and highly recommend--as often as I get the chance to :) In fact, one of the things that I have used to recruit leaders is that council requires registration for training, and the training alone is worth $10. Scouting Magazine, insurance, the right to wear the BSA uniform--these are other benefits.

NeilLup: One reason we hear for leaders not wanted to sign up is that they don't want to have to wear the uniform! Funny thing though: when I got one, 2 other leaders checked it out (what patch is this or that, where do I get this, etc) and are uniformed too. And better still, the boys are seeing the adults in uniform, and then they are showing up in uniform too. So, the argument about uniforms doesn't wash with me--but it's out there.

Laurie,

Thank you for the information about wearing the uniform. That certainly can be addressed for Committee members by saying that one doesn't need to. To me, that's an excuse but then, I'm a lifer.

And let me make sure I understand what you've said. If a non-registered person shows up for BSA training in your council, they are actually refused the opportunity to participate! Someone actually checks registration and verifies it before training? Which training? Do you require registration before Fast Start? To me, requiring registration before training is rather remarkable.

Is everyone forgetting the most important reason to become a registered committee member? Boards of Review?

OK, maybe this is only important to the guy who has to find committee members to serve when the need arises, but it is important!

Much the same as I believe in both Creation and Evolution at the same time (would take too long to explain), I believe just about everyone is right here. for the most part, it isn't necesary to have a specific adult register. But it sure would be valuable, for a number of reasons. And from the perspective of an Advancement Chair, not the least of which are BORs.

Mark

NeilLup: No, if someone wants to be trained prior to registering, they won't be turned away. I learned that recently when someone was unsure of whether they wanted to join or not, and training would have helped them to decide. Youth Protection is on-line through council, so anyone can take it--and we encourage everyone, leader or not, to do so. Fast Start is not provided to my knowledge, but as a pack we purchased the video for anyone considering leadership or for leaders who wanted a refresher or who are changing roles. I'm using it with our Den Chief, for training is not offered for Den Chiefs until the summer. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind being registered for training. It is common to have leaders register and need to wait close to a full year for training because it isn't offered very often. So, if they had to train first, we'd lose a lot of leaders. We can count on once a year for the basic training, but we have learned that the spring training tends to get cancelled. This is for Cubs, by the way. For Scouts, there is far more training; there are also far more trainers. And, as far as checking records, I have tried numerous times--via phone, e-mail, and certified letter--to verify my own registration. After six months of trying to do this, I have a wallet full of training cards but still no membership card or verication of membership. IMO, it would be a plus to check on it even if not to require it--but then I have an ulterior personal motive :)

mk9750: excellent point! I think in terms of Cubs, but my husband actually chose to remain what is referred to as "only a committee member" in order to sit on BORs. Committee members in the troop must be registered to sign on a BOR, so that's a good point. They are pretty significant people when it comes to advancement alone.