Tour Permits ...again

This has been addressed before, but new confusions have arisen as to when a tour permit is required and when it is not. So I thought I would run this up the flag pole one more time to see who salutes.

First of all tour permits are pretty clearly required in any of the following circumstances:

1. Overnight camping or lodging is involved.

2. The event or activity requires special training for the leadership as specified in G2SS and this training must be certified on the tour permit. G2SS specifies special training and certifications requirements for some activities that are not required to be spelled out on the tour permit. I would also consider these activities to require a tour permit.

3. The unit is providing transportation or coordinating transportation to a site other than the unit's "usual meeting place".

4. Day hikes and day bike rides.

5. Activities in the local area that are none of 1 through 4 above, but are not at the "usual meeting place'. This might include service projects. (This is a grey area in my mind where additional input will be helpful.)

Tour permits are not required for:

1. Ordinary troop meetings.

2. Courts of honor.

3. Boy led patrol activities at which no adult is present.

4. Council sponsored events and activities.

Further thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

In our council, we are told that tour permits are not needed when visiting council properties and/or council events or when visiting any place in the same town as our charter organization. That seems consistent with the form itself. In your list of when a tour permit is not needed, I'm curious to see what others have to say about option 3. Wouldn't the permit still be needed to be sure that the boys are following the guidelines on it?

As Laurie said, if the outing (even overnight) is held at a Council camp, then no permit is required (at least this is what I was told by Council).

I have also been told that if there is a boy led Patrol hike or some other day activity, then no permit is required.

Our council requires a tour permit for unit trips to council camps and district and council events like camporees. I have run camporees and work as a volunteer weekend ranger at camp and in both cases, if you don't have one you don't get to stay.

You need to remember that a tour permit is work sheet or reminder that you have covered all the bases on G2SS rules and regs. It major benefit is it reminds you of what you need as you are planning an outing.

The only two in your list of not required tour permits I would agree with are the Troop meeting and Court of Honor, I would be careful of the patrol activity and if your are going as an unit to a council event I would file one.