Emergency Preparedness

I dont know how many of you have gone forward with what the BSA got worked up with the DHS... just wondering:)

I'm also looking for ideas. We are currently working on setting up a unit for this purpose. We are also working on a SAR team. This is where I could use some help?? Any ideas?

Thanks.:)

I would like to help out here but I'm not well read on the BSA -- DHS issue--help me out on that--I have 26yrs with the city's Fire/Rescue and Ispections Dept.Can you be more specific in your question on settig up a SAR team -- does the troop members make up this team, do you want to help as a volunteer group in a city EP plan, or who to contact to volunteer-- (SAR Team -- you can run into a lot of legal issues like liablity)

If you are referring to the new Emergency Preparedness BSA Award it is formed around existing elements of BSA advancement requirements for different levels (all the way from Tiger Cubs through Boy Scouts, to Venturing and adults at the unit and district level) and focuses on evacuation plans and family emergency kits for disasters preparedness. It is not something you set up a new unit for... it is something every person at all levels of Scouting can work on within the normal BSA program. What kind of a unit would have its primary purpose doing search and recovery? I don't think that is appropriate or would meet the goals BSA has established for boys any age.

I've heard of this, a couple of Councils ago. It wasn't a case of a BSA-chartered unit hanging out a shingle as a SAR outfit. Rather, it was a Venture Crew who focused their high-adventure program on Orienteering, Climb-on-Safely, wilderness survival, E-prep, and so on. The outsiders they tapped for their training knew who they were, and they had at least a few unofficial "callups" as I recall.

KS

Ok, I guess I need to explain myself a little, huh?:)

People needed to take Emergency Preparedness merit badge so we decicded to do it during a troop meeting. Since most of the scouts already had the merit badge, our Scoutmaster, a volunteer firefighter, took it a little farther. We are currently making plans to help in a disaster if needed. Our area, in 1993, was hit hard with floods. So we are setting up to be ready to help if this kind of thing was to happen again.

We are also going to set up a search team because we're scouts and we should be good in the outdoors, right?;)

This is what I was needing information on. How many members should make up like a "search patrol". And what specific jobs they would have.