should alcohol use affect advancement?

Hi -

I would appreciate some input here. I am a scoutmaster of a troop of about 45 scouts. I have a 15 year old who is nearing to be ready for his Eagle candidacy. He has been a good scout at meetings, on trips, etc.

However, it has come to light that he drinks some with his buddies. Not on scout trips, but over the weekends or other "social" times, not scout-related at all. Troop committee has reviewed with all Life scouts the importance of their oaths to stay subsdtance-free, but yet this boy seemingly doesn't see anything wrong wiht having a beer or two at times. Nor do his parents.

Should his advancement to Eagle be delayed because of this? The parents think not - they think it's okay for scouts to have a policy against alcohol use but that we shouldn't do anything to hold a scout back if he chooses to drink. I think that this shows a choice the scout makes to NOT adhere to the oath and pledge he has made. Shouldn't there be some consequence? More service work? More leadership to be shown? Or what? I just feel that if you have standards and expectations but then there are no consequences for not living up to those standards, then what kind of message does that send to the other scouts about the validity of the standards in the first place? Obviouisly, the parents disagree with me. Again, this is a good scout who i have had ZERO problems with. But does this mean we turn a blind eye to his activites outside of scouts? (He is NOT a problem child outside of scouts either. We jsut know that he drinks beer now and then, as a 15 year old. It's not a case of "tried it once but don't do it anymore")

I am going to call our District office tomorrow to discuss this and see what their suggested guidelines are, as well as bring this up at the Leaders Roundtable next week. But i'm curious as to input from this board. I am sure this is not a unique situation.

Thanks.

What are these parents thinking?

Yes, I think it should be considered. Just to be clear though - How often? How many? Under what circumstances? Are adults (parents) around when this occurs? If I was reviewing this Scout for rank advancement, I'd like to know these answers.(This message has been edited by Rooster7)