responsibility to deliver the BSA's scouting program

Dan,

I feel sure that you will have to agree that just because some people don't play the game by the rules it doesn't make them right.

If you do hit the lottery, please remember that I have an FOS goal!! All donations are gratefully accepted.

Eamonn

Laurie

Here are some of the key words you used.

charged

with

responsibility

responsible

if a SM has no control he could not do any of the above, without control the troop would be like a ship without a rudder.

The SM has control until it is taken away from him. By whoever and whenever. To say that a president of a company does not have control because he could be removed at anytime is lame. He is still in control until he is removed, just like a SM.

Eamonn

Maybe on this thread I do not feel like agreeing with anyone!

Which is why possibly I put the thread in with the issues & politics.

Maybe I am just trying to catch up with you on number of posts! You have been posting here 373 days less than I, and you have more than double the post I have.

If I win the lottery, maybe you would like to move to Illinois, where the Three Fires Council would be reaping some of the benefit of my good fortune.

I guess I am going to have to go purchase some tickets Saturday after the JLTC meeting.

OK Dan,

You are the Scoutmaster in the District. I'm the District Chairman - You Work for me?

It don't work that way. The BSA has a program. Some of us like to think that it is a good one. The BSA goes into partnership with other organizations. All sorts of papers are signed and the BSA allows these other organizations to use the program. These other organizations select the person that they feel will be their Scoutmaster. If they want they can make stipulations about who they want to be their Scoutmaster. We in fact have one CO in the Council that will not sign off on their Charter until they have met with each and every adult on that charter. You as Scoutmaster serve at their pleasure.

I was self-employed for a good number of years. While I know that I was the worst boss that I ever had. I could do what I wanted. If I had wanted to not work I could hire people to do what I might have or should have been doing. I was the boss. When I opened my second location I hired a manager. I shared with him my goals, my expectations and how I wanted things to be done. Once he was trained I got out of his way. I used to look in, at first a couple of times a week and then it got down to about once a week and it was no big deal to me if I missed a week. He was responsible for running the place but he worked for me. Just as a Scoutmaster works for the chartered organization using the program that they have chosen.

The best of British Luck with the lottery. Maybe if you win big I will pay a visit to Three Fires Council and you can pay for the drinks!!

Eamonn

Dan, I was not arguing. I said this is my understanding of the roles of CM and SM. When you say I use certain words, you are right--but you left out a good number of them too. Since I think anything I say now will become an argument, I'm ending my part in this thread.

Laurie

I am sorry that you feel like we where arguing, I thought we where having a discussion. I will let it drop, even though I know I am correct. ;)

Eamonn

Anytime you are in town, even if I do not win the lottery.

Dan, thank you, and we weren't arguing (yet!), but I think we could have if we kept on going. We might even be saying the same thing but using different words. Did you know that I'd just have to respond when you said you are correct? Moving on to other topics now, and there sure are plenty... :)