We have a single who Mom wants to go BSA camping with her son and wants to bring 10 year old daughter with them. I am getting flack as CC as to having any women go camping let alone have a 10 year old girl tag along and camp with us. Some in the Troop want to have a meeting and vote on wether to let her go camping or not. I know that I have the power to make this decision on my own if need be. We have been rolling along for years with out any problems. So this has thrown a klinker in our smooth sailing.

We have a couple of guys in the troop who have for years been the backbone of the Troop. Big money, time, supplies etc. They asked nothing in return. I have found out that one of them is adament about not haveing women on BSA camp outs. He is a ASM. One of the Founders of the Troop so to speak. His argument is the age old argement of "Scouting is for Boys" and he also has personal religious convictions that precludes him from being around un-married or women whose husbands are not around. I also tend to believe that our CO (Church) would not want a single Mom to go camping with us. I am going to check with them.

I know that BSA policy is that Women be allowed to go on Camping trips. I do believe that she needs to register and at least become a CM if she wants to go camping. But I do not feel that it is appropiate to drag along a 10 year old girl on camp outs. As a replacement for that We could designate a couple of camp outs a year to be "Family Friendly" and open them up to any family members who want to camp out.

The other problem is this gentleman, I would hate to see him go. It would not be a good thing for the Troop.

We solve this in the same way many troops do and that is to have a family campout once per year bring mom, sis, whoever the boys cook for everybody and a good time is had by all. We have other female adults occasionally on outings but not siblings. We had a problem many moons ago but not with a female sibling the cub age boy was drug by his dad on a lot of outings but he was needed to maintain two deep at that time and the mom was one of the weekend nurses in the local hospital.