"Boy Scouting is not a family organization"

I think that is a terribly short sited view.

Everyones entitled to their opinion. Obviously I have mine and you have yours.

I don't think anyone can deny that parents can play a very inportant role in a scouts level of poarticipation, his attendance, his advancement, his embrcing and application of scouting values.

I totally agree and If you had read my previous posts, I have already addressed this issue a couple of times. A parent supporting his boy is not the same thing as a parent's involvement in the operation and program of the unit as a whole.

The ScoutParnets program is an effort to make sure that these influences are positive rather than negative.

And how is the ScoutParents program different from the Parent Coordinator committee position. It would seem that apples and oranges are being discussed here. Only one adult, and it doesnt have to be a parent can hold that position.

I assk again, due too your failure to respond, What specific element(s) of the passage I shared from the ScoutParents Orientation Guide do you see as harmful to scouting or to a unit program.

And why are Little League dads and soccer moms not a part of the scope and function of those organization? and yet seem to have a major impact on the reality of the program.

Where does it say that the Scoutparents are involved in taking over youth responsibilities?

A family organization implies the involvement of the whole family. A youth organization implies youth supported by family. Again, we have apples and oranges being compared here.

Where does it duggest that the parents are to take over Scoutmaster responsibilities.

Same place it suggests that the parent in the bleacher gets involved in whether or not the Little League coach is there next season.

Your fears seem firmly based on things that the ScoutParents program isn't about, and you are ignoring what it tells you it is.

Ive been around politics to know that saying one thing and doing another is a perfectly acceptable course of action. The Trojan Horse sure looked like a neat gift when they first saw it. All Im saying is buyer beware. This program just doesnt set well from the git go. But of course that is only my opinion based on 35+ years of youth work in a wide variety of different settings. Your mileage may vary.

Stosh

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"And how is the ScoutParents program different from the Parent Coordinator committee position? "

Well for one thing, one is the entire program, the other is a position within the program. How was that unclear to anyone?

You have yet to address a single element shared with you from the Scouts Parent document and explained how it would negatively impact the scout unit.

I will share them again for thsoe who have forgotten it.

"ScoutParent

A ScoutParent is a parent or adult mentor of a Scout who enthusiastically participates with their

Scout and also helps other volunteers to provide the best quality program experience to all youth in every unit.

A ScoutParent:

Leads their family in obtaining the values, benefits, experiences and rewards from their familys Scouting participation, and in sharing these with others;

Enjoys participating with his or her Scout and inspires their child to persevere in Scouting with their tenure, activity participation and achievement;

Helps enhance youth and parent-mentor recruitment, retention, enthusiasm, commitment and participation in the passionate GREAT Family FUN of Scouting!; and

Helps Make It SO!

So where is the harm in any of those elements???

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

" Enjoys participating with his or her Scout and inspires their child to persevere in Scouting with their tenure, activity participation and achievement"

If you don't see the possible problems all I can say is that someone had a key to the locker and ate the strawberries.

So jblake is GW correct? Is that the phrase that is fueling parental phobia for the two of you?

So GW...Do you not enjoy the activity of scouting with the youth you serve? Do you not encourage them to attend, participate, and achieve?(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Bob, if it works, great. But if it does work, I'd think they would put on that web site a description of how it works, and what it actually is, rather than just platitudes. I agree with what TwoCubDad said earlier about the information that has been shared so far. When I read it, all I really learn is why they are doing this, and generalities about what they hope to accomplish by doing it -- but I don't really learn what "it" actually is.

Bob: Yes, we are. From reading the posts in this topic, it appears that that is also true for the vast majority of people who have posted in this forum. In fact, I have read every post in this topic and I didn't know the councils had distributed printed materials yet, until you just said it. Everything quoted here appeared to be from the web site. (In fact, I still don't know it, I just know what you said.)

By the way, "yes or no" is usually what someone says when someone is cross-examining someone and trying to get them to admit they did it. I thought we were having a discussion here. Why are you cross-examining me?

The first a lot of us heard about this was in these forums! My council web site has nothing about it & National's has minimal! I had to search for ScoutParent on National site to find the three old reference they have!

Enjoying your units activities and

" Enjoys participating with his or her Scout and inspires their child to persevere in Scouting with their tenure, activity participation and achievement"

are two completely different things. If you can't see that, Bob, then it's time to get those eyes checked!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

No NJ I am trying to get to the facts.

So you have yet to see the materials that the councils will be distributing oin this new program, you are unaware of the results of the two year field test, you have not seen the program at work. Yet you already foresee problems just recuiting someone to be the coordinator?

In fact the only thing you have seen are some positive but benral staements on the purpose of the program and you are already concerned about it?

I do not understand your fear of things that have not happened yet, especially about things you admit you have no knowledge of.

Bob, what you "understand" or don't "understand" about me is none of my business, nor do I suspect anybody else really cares about it either.

Your comments, especially the one about my supposed "fear" (which I don't recall saying anything about) border on personal attacks and I think you ought to stop it.

If you want to talk about the subject, talk about the subject. I didn't talk about you, please don't talk about me.

"So GW...Do you not enjoy the activity of scouting with the youth you serve?"

The youth that I serve, as you put it, includes far more than my son.

Be careful not to cut the tow rope.

Click, click, click, click. . .(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)

I did not ask if you were related to the scouts I asked.."Do you enjoy the activity of scouting with the youth you serve? Do you encourage them to attend, participate, and achieve?

In fact I would ask the same question of jblake.