Yes, there is more to earning the Firem'n Chit than building a "natural" fire. As a matter of fact, starting a fire without the use of matches is not a part of it at all.

Also, the participating Webelos would not be able to earn the Firem'n Chit at all. It is a Boy Scout award, not a Cub Scout award and Webelos are not eligible.

If you are planning on having Cub Scouts at your district Klondike, you must either provide Cub age appropriate activities for them or let them observe only. Boy Scout level activities are not appropriate for Webelos Cub Scouts.

Thank you for your advise I will take the fire chit out but I am still planing to let the webelos do all the stations I have heard alot of complants that we invite webelos but they never get to do anything so each station will have a webelos leader and be motified for them.

If you are planning activities specifically for webelos scouts, consider having a look at some of the webelos activity pin requirements. You can find a good online listing here:

http://www.geocities.com/~Pack215/activity-badges.html

(This is from the Virtual Cub Scout Leader's Guide - not an official BSA source, but I've always found it to be extremely reliable. Specific pins are listed along the left side of the screen and you can click on them to bring up the requirements for each one.)

One option for Webelos who are working on the Outdoorsman pin is as follows: "Discuss with your Webelos den leader the rules of outdoor fire safety. Using these rules, show how to build a safe fire and put it out. " (this is #7 under the Outdoorsman pin requirements)

One beef I've had in the past, as a former Webelos leader, was that we'd take boys to events like what you are describing where they'd be told that they had completed various webelos requirements, when in fact they had not done what the requirement said. This is a set-up for disappointed boys and angry parents. So please be consciencious about this - either it meets the requirement or it does not, but don't fudge it. And give the webelos den leader a list of the requirements you believe you are meeting, and how you plan to meet them too, if at all possible.

Lisabob: Amen...

Scouts that would do a Webelos Weekend would do well to obtain a Web Book and plan the activities around the pin requirements.

I would also suggest a Whitlin' Chip class. The back of the WhCh card lists the safety rules to cover:

1. I will treat my pocket knife with the respect due a useful tool.

2. I will always close my pocketknife and put it away when not in use.

3. I will not use my pocketknife when it might injure some one near me.

4. I promise never to throw my pocketknifefor any reason.

5. I will use my pocketknife in a safe manner at all times.

One might also provide some training on proper sharpening technique and then show how to actually carve and whitle. We used bars of soap to good effect. They then have a CLEAN souvenir to take home!!. We also include some show and tell about different types of knives and their proper use. Give the Cub a small paper certificate as avidence of his successful completion of the class to take back to his Pack so they can make the award as appropriate:

""(blank) has completed the class in Whitlin' Chip requirements presented by Troop XXX at the (Webelos Weekend) held at (Camp Wet River) on 31 February, 2006. His Cub Master should review the safety rules on the back of the Whitlin' Chip card before presenting him with the award. Yours in Scouting (signed) ""

Keep in mind they might not bring their own knives to the weekend, so have some 'loaners' available.

Make sure the Scouts leading the class first have their Totin' Chip and are knowledgeable about knife handling.

YiS

(This message has been edited by SSScout)