Religious question about Scouting.

I know the BSA does not allow athiest, however you never read or see anything on the subject of agnosticism. What is the BSA policy on Agnostic Scouts and Scouters.

I am wonder this because I am a long time Scouter and an Agnostic. I feel some internal ethical turmoil over this question of religion in the overall BSA program. Personally I'd like to see the BSA drop the whole issue of religious belief, and move on into the 21st Century. This of course won't happen, but it would solve some of the problems facing the BSA today.

Can a perons be an Agnostic Scout or Scouter? I believe there may be a higher power, but not a personal god. (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

. What allows the Boy Scouts of America to exclude atheists and agnostics from membership?

A. The Boy Scouts of America is a private membership group. As with any private organization, Boy Scouts retains the constitutional right to establish and maintain standards for membership. Anyone who supports the values of Scouting and meets these standards is welcome to join the organization.

Q. Can an individual who states that he does not believe in God be a volunteer Scout leader or member?

A. No. The Scout Oath represents the basic values of Scouting, and it addresses the issue of duty to God before duty to country, others, and self.

http://www.bsalegal.org/faqs-113.htm

Hi welcome to the forum.

We have in the past spend some time looking at this.

How you read the policy is up to you.

The way I read it is that while you do not have to belong to any religion you do have to hold a believe that there is a God or what ever name you want to give to a higher power.

To my mind if you can stand up and say the Scout Oath, with "Duty to God" in it and not be a hypocrite or feel that you are telling lies.

I'm a little unsure how a Scouter who isn't sure that there is a God or what ever name you want to use can work with Scouts as they strive to do their best to do their duty to God?

Some people will talk about the fact that it is better to do good than be good and the actions of people who don't believe in God. This might work for them? But the policy is very clear it states that you have to believe.

I would think any SE who heard that a Scouter was claiming to be an agnostic would have to revoke his or her membership.

Eamonn.

Bobanon, WELCOME!!!

IMHO, Eamonn is worth listening to.

This is an area where various Scouters hold terribly passionate beliefs - some of them, seemingly contradictory. I think the simpler we keep it the better. Take a look at an adult app. -- if you can sign it, you are welcome (officially, that is).

On a practical level, for better or worse, many Scouters will welcome you and never ask/think about your faith.

jd(This message has been edited by johndaigler)

Hi y'all

I have been involved with Scouts since I was 8, and will be 49 come my next birthday. So, I've been around a long time.

I love Scouts. It is the greatest program available to youth, and can be more fulfilling for adults than any other avenue I have seen.

There is as much diffence between atheism and agnosticism as their is betwee xtianity and atheism. I do not believe in a personal or caring god, nor do I believe that anyone has been given a special book or tablet by a god.

My dilema has manifest itself of late in the furor over BSA policy and society, especially in California. I have questioned whether or not I was being hypocritical in my role as a leader in regards to my own personal beliefs on the topic of faith and religion. I have never spoken of my own beliefs to another adult scouter or the youth. I have steered clear of the topic of religion wholly. I think the boys religious ideas should come from their own parents and their traditions. It is not my place to instill religious ideaology to anyone. I believe that we have to come to our own conclusions on matters spiritual through study, thought and meditation.

I have no problems with prayer before a meal. I think the Philmont Grace is a wonderful prayer. There is not a religious tradition that could find the Philmont Grace offensive.

I have found, at times, a various and sundry Scouting events that individuals like to inpart some or many of their own personal beliefs and traditions into opening prayers or even opening statements. I remind myself that they apparently have either skipped over Matthew 5, or they didn't get it.

I would imagine I am not alone in my dilima over agnosticism and involvment in Scouts. I believe there are many like myself who remain quiet in order to keep the peace.