Even though this topic is not covered in the GtSS and is "not forbidden" per se, ask yourself these questions..

First, will this 17 year old be covered by the owner's vehicle insurance policy?

Second, how much driving experience does he have.

Third, how much driving experience does he have pulling a trailer. Does he know how to manage one in heavy traffic, hills and mountains. Does he know how to handle emergencies....just a few things to think about...

From a perspective of frequently hauling trailers of many sizes, I add the following to le Voyageur's good advice:

Does he know how to BACK a vehicle with a trailer? How much sense of geometry does he have (think turning corners here)? Will he understand the effect on stopping distance? Will he be conscious of the extra length of the overall vehicle and its sluggishness when entering a highway?

I know boys who can do this safely so I know it's possible. But it's a judgement call for someone.

If you follow the G2SS rules, and these are policy as they are bold no 17 yr can drive to a troop event. In order to drive to troop events you must be 18.

The driver must be currently licensed and at least 18 years of age. Youth member exception: When traveling to and from an area, regional, or national Boy Scout activity or any Venturing event under the leadership of an adult (at least 21 years of age) tour leader, a youth member at least 16 years of age may be a driver, subject to the following conditions:

Six months' driving experience as a licensed driver (time on a learner's permit or equivalent is not to be counted)

No record of accidents or moving violations

Parental permission granted to the leader, driver, and riders

so the answer is unequivically "NO"

It's interesting how different folks read the same passages and interpret them to reach opposite conclusions. I'm reading the part that says "a youth member at least 16 years of age may be a driver" and don't see any exceptions having to do with trailers.

Fscouter,

You have to read the whole line, it says

"Youth member exception: When traveling to and from an area, regional, or national Boy Scout activity or any Venturing event under the leadership of an adult (at least 21 years of age) tour leader, a youth member at least 16 years of age may be a driver, subject to the following conditions: "

This is a TRoop TRailer at a troop event. NO exceptions at troop events, you must be 18 to drive to a troop event. The trailer is not an issue as he can't drive there anyway.

If this were almost anything other than a troop event he could drive and pull a trailer.

I take that passage to mean that only 16 year old Scouts may drive, and 16-year-old non-Scouts may not drive. Membership has its perks.

I also interpret that a troop event is considered an "area" Boy Scout activity. It doesn't make sense that a 16 year old driver is allowed to drive to national events, Venturing events, regional events, and area events, but would not be allowed to drive to a troop event. The safety factor in driving doesn't have anything to do with the type of Scouting event that is taking place or the driving destination, so it would not seem logical to interpret the G2SS to mean Troop event destinations are not allowed.

I'm not saying you're interpretation is wrong, I'm just stating my interpretation of the rules, considering the intent of the rules are to ensure safety.

"I also interpret that a troop event is considered an "area" Boy Scout activity."

As logical as that might be, it is wrong but I'm with you on the whole thing making no sense and possibly being stupid.

Somehow a 17 year old Scout isn't mature enough to drive to a campout or even a troop meeting but 16 year old Venturer is mature enough to drive to similar events.

Some will argue that is has to do with the ages of others that may be in the car and how the 17 year old can be distracted by 12 year old Scouts and a car filled with 16 year old Venturers will be the model of decorum.

The people that make that argument really must have had a boring childhood and not know much about teenagers at all. Cars filled with teenagers are leathal weapons, loaded guns with safeties that don't work. One of the TV news shows put hidden cameras in teenager's cars and the results were shocking.

If they'd raise the driving age to 18, I'd be a happy man.

For clarification, according to NE regional office an "AREA" is an administrave division of the region. It is even higher than your council. Its who they talk to at region. Each region has several area's in it.

So an "AREA" event is not a troop event. wheather we like it or not a 17 yr old is prohibited from driving to unit events, and yes a 16 yr old venturer can drive to a venturing event.

Does it make sense? Not to me. The problem would be if you allowed the 17 yr old to drive and pull the troop trailer and he has an accident, bye bye liability insurance from national. The lawyers would have a field day with you on this.

We asked this question to clarify it just for the reason Sandyt888 asked. We had 17 yr olds that wanted to drive to troop events. Hard to keep them involved and tell them they can't drive to things.

Even though I don't like the idea of teenagers on the road, the really absurd thing is that a 16 year old can drive to work, church, school, or the movies but he can't drive to a troop meeting.

If a 17 year old did drive, I don't know how much the insurance issue would really come into play. If he had an accident, the insurance on his vehicle would pay.

I don't know how good BSA's insurance is anyway. I was injured at Summer Camp and was told to use the Council's insurance information when I went to the hospital. I'm still dealing with paperwork two years later. If I had known what a hassle it was going to be, I'd have used my insurance and paid the $25 co-pay.

When I read it I see that a 16 year old boy can drive on troop outings as long as a trip leader is 21 or older. The conditions are that he must have at least 6 months experience, no violations, and parental permission for any boy who is a passenger.

Non-scouts are not subject to scout regs, I'm not sure why they're in the argument anyway. Driving to- and from- regular troop meetings is not regulated, at least that's the way I read it.

Packsaddle,

The exception to the 18 yr old driver rule only applies to those cases that are listed

"area, regional, or national Boy Scout activity or any Venturing event"

I don't see troop events listed anywhere in the exceptions.

In NY now 16 yr old drivers are restricted by law now from hauling around other teens

There is a four page post on the topic of who is eligible to drive when.

It was posted by mk9750 on July 14,2003 and is titled, " YP and G2SS questions" Use the search to find it.

Perhaps some of the answers sought are there.

Sandyt888, again, the scout in this case is not eligible to drive, therefore the trailer issue is void.